Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWorksInc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I have an old iMac G5 I would like to turn into a server however it is not working so I ran some tests, first I tested the hard drive by plugging it into my current iMac through a dock and it was fine, then I switched out my power supply with another iMac G5s that I know is working and it still didn't work, so I concluded it was the motherboard and their were to exploded capacitors so I replaced them however now it turns on and I can here everything but nothing shows up on the screen and ppafter about 2 minutes the fans began spinning as fast as possible so I shut it off, does anyone know what wrong? Also there were 4 lights inside the iMac and the first two were on yet the others were off. I don't know what it means but any advice is appreciated!

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I have an old iMac G5 I would like to turn into a server however it is not working so I ran some tests, first I tested the hard drive by plugging it into my current iMac through a dock and it was fine, then I switched out my power supply with another iMac G5s that I know is working and it still didn't work, so I concluded it was the motherboard and their were to exploded capacitors so I replaced them however now it turns on and I can here everything but nothing shows up on the screen and ppafter about 2 minutes the fans began spinning as fast as possible so I shut it off, does anyone know what wrong? Also there were 4 lights inside the iMac and the first two were on yet the others were off. I don't know what it means but any advice is appreciated!

I have an iMac with the exact same problem. The problem is the third light not coming on means that your graphics chip and your display arent communicating, either a bad cable or bad graphics chip. The 4th light means that the iMac is overheating and you do not want that light on. Someone suggested that I replace my motherboard to fix my problem but i haven't gotten around to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.