iMac G5 or iMac Intel.. Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by e²Studios, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. e²Studios macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    I will receive a larger than what i thought refund from the Federal government and my State taxes. I have decided to buy a iMac but i am tossed between a 20" intel or G5 PPC based iMac.

    I currently use FCE and Adobe CS daily. I have no issues getting a Intel mac except for a few things. I have no desire to switch to CS2, nor do i have a desire to move from FCE HD since both applications have served me well so far and do everything i expect of them. Have there been any announcements that i have missed that apple and adobe will give updates for the Intel processor Macs so CS and FCE HD users can run it natively, or do you think their "fix" will be a new upgrade version/path? I have no desire to purchase more software, especially when the two apps i use most work great for me now. I see myself leaning toward a G5 iMac for the "i dont want to upgrade my software versions" reasoning, but thought to post here before i hit the purchase button.

  2. pknz macrumors 68020


    Mar 22, 2005
    I would say G5, as you said, you are happy with the software you are using currently, and it looks like Adobe isn't going to make an Intel version Photoshop till CS3 (maybe a year or more away).

    What Mac are you using at the moment and does it handle everything ou throw at it?
  3. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005

    Mainly i am on my Mini in the Sig, unless its work related then its on a Dual G5 PM.

  4. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    Well if that is what you will be doing....get the G5, save a few bucks and buy an iPod or something ;)
  5. PharmD macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    I believe that all the pro apps, including FCE HD will be allowed to "crossgrade" for $49 come March. If I were you, I would hold onto the money and wait as long as I could and buy an later Intel Mac a little closer to whenever CS3 comes out. If you cannot wait, buy an Intel over a PPC.

    Bottom line, there is no reason to buy PowerPC when it won't be supported a year or two from now unless you upgrade your Macs that often anyways. Once a must have app or upgrade comes along, you'll just want to get a whole new mac again. Sure, your Photoshop will be a bit sluggish for a while but you'll save money in the long run by toughing it out.

    You're not me though so just take my advice for what its worth.
  6. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    Apple has said to support the PPC platform for a long time to come ;)
  7. nagromme macrumors G5


    May 2, 2002
    The G5 isn't a bad choice (especially with the price drop!) but some more food for thought:

    * There's usually a deal for upgrading from FCE to FC Studio--and an FCE for Intel crossgrade is coming soon: Watch this page for news:

    * Your current Photoshop should run on Intel--and possibly not much differently from your G4 Mini--especially if you give the iMac at least 1 GB RAM if not more. (Rosetta likes RAM.) If you can tolerate "about the same" performance for another 8-14 months, you'll have the chance then to get CS3 at full native speed.

    * The Core Duo iMac has a better/faster GPU than the G5 iMac (not just for gaming--the OS uses it too).

    * The Core Duo iMac can span to any external display up to 23". External display options on the G5 iMac are VERY limited--and only mirrored.

    * G5 will be supported for years to come, but Intel's chips are the future.

    * More and more apps will now be written to take advantage of dual processors.

    Now, if "wait and see" is at all an option, Intel has some even faster chips coming later this year. CS3 should be out later this year or early next. And the Apple FC Studio deals run almost to Christmas 2006, so the FCE deal probably will too.
  8. tivoboy macrumors 68040

    May 15, 2005

    if you are going to do it, do it now. There are not going to BE an 20" G5 imacs in a few weeks.
  9. xyian macrumors 6502


    May 24, 2004
    I was wondering the same thing myself. G5 or Intel? My concerns are these:
    1. Software compatibility down the road. I know that Rosetta does a pretty good job. Everybody seems to be saying this. Yes, it's a memory hog. What isn't these days?
    2. Resale value. At $1399 edu that's not bad but what's the resale of a G5 going to be considering it's gonna be a dinosaur even before it's dead?
  10. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

    Jan 22, 2006
    happy with the G5 20" i just got... and got apple to honor their 10-14 day price protection after a short phone call. I so expect to use it for a long time without any problems, and maybe as a media player after it is not on the desk. I did that with a P-II lattitude for 5 years.

    Wanna cheaper 20" iMac without a power supply failure or a fan noise? Go G5 (iSight) while it is, well, not as hot as the rev. A... Or, you can get the speed increase with bugs now, but also with the chance of a loose heat sink melting the apple logo or your Airport not being as fast for the first 5 months ;)

    I'd love to see how cheap a 800x600 projector is in a year or two though. I think that would make a pretty great combo with the G5 iMac for me. Forget having a TV and DVD player in the living room...

    And I am just hoping that the money I save by not switching now will be put toward one of these processors. That mactel will be the computer still on my desk in 2009. Can you say PowerBook Pro Dual Core Duo? :D
  11. cgratti macrumors 6502a


    Dec 28, 2004
    Central Pennsylvania, USA
    I personally would look long term, if you dont think you will have the cash to upgrade in like 2-3 years, then go with the Intel, if you think you will have the funds then go G5.

    The G5 should do you justice for 2 more years, then you can jump to the next big thing...

Share This Page