iMac G5 or save up for Alu iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplyme91, Apr 9, 2008.

1. simplyme91 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at a G5 iMac on eBay, and was wondering if y'all thought I should get it or just wait and save up for a new one. Right now I have a G3 iMac that is barely usable, so I'm usually on my mom's Dell laptop.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/iMac-17-G5-Powe...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
    There's a link to the one I'm looking at. It ends in 2 hours, so please respond quickly.

Also, I use Photoshop, would it be able to run at least CS2 fine?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree, the G5s are starting to get dated.

4. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

Not only are they getting dated but the new imacs are way sexier!

5. simplyme91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll just continue saving. (^__^)
    This is exactly why I came here first, I have no clue how fast a G5 is, so I knew I could ask here and get an answer.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I wouldn't go for it. The new iMac is much better than the G5, so you would be a lot happier to go to intel and leave ailing PPC behind... besides, that machine is like 2 or 3 years old, it will soon be a goner. The alumiMac will last you much longer (I get the feeling you like to use things a long time... G3...).

7. simplyme91 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I got it last year, because I thought it was better than no computer, which didn't turn out to be completely true. My dad used an HP computer for about 10 years though. :eek:

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

don't waste a penny on a ppc. those things are dog slow compared to the intels. i use both (a g5 and a cd) in my lab, and both are slow (512mb memory), but the g5 is ridiculous. intel or bust. if an alu is out of your range, you'd be far, far, FAR better off going with a windows c2d desktop. in fact, i'd say that in general unless you specifically needed os x.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Buy the G5, they have funky capacitors during a certain date range, ran hot and were user serviceable -- and will likely force you to buy a new HD, RAM, Mouse, OS, etc. to bring it current.

Or simply look for a new iMac refurb, which will come with a lot of the updated SW already on it. And likely has a larger HD, RAM, faster CPU&GPU etc.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I think you would find it usable for a year or so yet......it's not a "SUPER" price but the ram is maxed out but it includes a printer and a superdrive. If you could find that model of G5 iMac (it's a rev A) for less than $400, then you would be looking at a pretty decent price

edit; it's now up to $475 with about an hour left.....prob going to be too expensive for what it is

11. kepner macrumors 6502

Apple has refurb aluminum iMacs online for $999.

12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yep that's what I got and I got free printer (Canon MP470.) $1040 after tax although I added 4 gigs of ram for another $70.