iMac G5 Power Supply

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMacSE500, Aug 10, 2008.

1. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

My iMac G5 17" (with Ambient Light Sensor) would not start up yesterday, so I took it to the Apple Store and they believe the power supply to be bad. They would replace it but charge a lot for labor that I can do myself (I have already removed my power supply). I was wondering if I needed to match the same apple part number on my old supply as the new one. Or is it possible for me to just go out and buy an power supply that was in (or fits) an Ambient Light Sensor.
    Thanks for the help.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Not being that familiar with power supplies, I would purchase a power supply with the same part number just to make sure that you're getting the right one.

3. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

Chances are there going to use the shot gun approach (try a P/S, if not that then try main board etc.) or did they install a new power supply & verify that was it ?

4. craig45 macrumors member

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Definitely check on the repair extension program. I've had TWO 17" G5 iMac's repaired for free under this program. (both out of warranty)

In both cases, they replaced both the logic (mother) board and the power supply.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My iMac G5 power supply died in February. The repair extension program had ended. Genius replace did for me for $65, didn't charge me labor.