Imac G5 problem.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomthedude, Jan 26, 2009.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

I have been scanning eBay for iMac G5's and I looked at some of the cheap 'Spares and repairs'. One of them has a '1 pixel wide line running down the screen'. Is this easy to fix? If so, could I buy a cheap iMac like this and fix it for like, free?
    -Tom-

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

3. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I buy and sell Macs on eBay every now and then and would never buy an iMac G3 or G5. The G3 because they're extremely outdated now and a lot of sellers tend to think they're worth £100-200, but the G5 because of the relatively high number of hardware faults. If you do a 'spares or repairs' search under iMac, most of them will be G5s. The G5, too, is often overpriced by sellers.

However, if you were to buy it, you'd need to buy another with a working screen (you'd probably get one that's had a logic board failure pretty cheap) and perform the 'surgery', selling on the 'donor' to get some of your money back.

It would be very risky, but would be worth it if you were able to pull it off.

4. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

What types of Macs do you buy/sell then?
    -Tom-

5. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

iMac G4s usually. There's a market for them because of their 'iconic design' status (I must say, I'm a fan too). Especially the ones which can run Leopard, 1GHz - 1.25GHz that go for anything from £150 to £300 depending on which version. Occasionally iBooks and early Intel iMacs too though.