iMac G5 questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shivermetimbers, Aug 2, 2009.

1. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I figured i would run this past you guys to see what you think. I have a 17" iMac G5. I have had it since 07. It has been a fantastic mo-cheen. However, I am going to give it to my mother whom has been plagued by PC ailments. Both of her PC's are on their last legs.

Since this will be her first Apple, I wanted to maximize the experience for her. I was going to wipe the hard drive clean and give her a fresh start. Since this ran Tiger, would it be beneficial to have Snow Leopard on it before I give it to her? Maybe look at a HDD upgrade? Wipe the hard drive clean and leave it alone? Take it to the Apple store and have it looked over? Idea's...

I have ran macs since 07. I have bragged to her about how nice they run. This iMac has ran flawless for me. I fear that I will get it to her and something stupid like the HDD will take a dump.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Snow Leopard won't run on it (once it's released): it's Intel only.

3. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I got my lines crossed...more than likley. It is a Intel iMac. I know that positively. I thought the all white 17" iMacs released in late 06/07 were G5's? My bad for faulty info....

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no such thing as an Intel G5. All G5 CPUs are IBM PowerPC. The first Intel iMac was released January 2006. So you have an Intel iMac, not a G5.

5. shivermetimbers thread starter macrumors 6502

Right! I got it straight, I changed my sig line to reflect. I thought it was a G5, that was my mistake. I just wiki'ed it. Its an early itel iMac. Sorry, for the confusion.....mostly on my part.

Any words of wisdom on revamping it for my situation or leave it be? I have never wiped the hard drive clean on it since I have had it. I kept a lot of BS I thought was unneccesary off it to keep it running smoothly.