iMac G5 really slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chocolate632, Jul 20, 2008.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I got a white iMac G5 about a year ago. Everything has been working fine until recently when I started to notice that its REALLY SLOW. What I mean by this is that whenever I try to open an application, load my widgets or basically do anything, it is really slow and Im seeing A LOT of beach balls. Just as i started typing in the title for this tread, it gave me a beachball. This computer is not that old so it should still be running smoothly.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

btw: I have 1GB of RAM, but it still operate really slow when I only have a few application open.

Thanks

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Do you have something running in the background or have you recently installed something different, if not Then do you have apple care?

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

How could I check if their is anything running in the background? And what kind of process would i be looking for?

And no, i don't have Apple Care

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Well, to check goto your applications folder, look for the utilities folder and then look for activity monitor.

Do you have leopard by any chance?

5. CarlosG macrumors member

Open the terminal (applications/utilities/) and type "top" and press enter.
    See what is hogging your processor time (the percentages).

Personally, I would just back all your stuff up and do a fresh install. You've probably got a background process going screwy, I once had this with Flip4Mac.

I used to have a iMac G5 1.6 and that thing would still be good for day-to-day stuff now.

6. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help, but I think im just going to reinstall leopard. I was actually thinking about getting a new hard drive. Does anyone know where I could get one that works with my iMac and how I would install it?

Thanks