Imac g5 refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by saxkid07, Dec 10, 2008.

1. saxkid07 macrumors newbie

I want an imac g5 for christmas but my family can't afford a new one. I've found a few refurbished ones but I don't know if I should get them. My mom has a g5 20" (not sure of ghz) it is the earliest model and the dealer said something about the first models not having all of the bugs worked out. Are there refurbs under 500 that are bug-free?
    A few more things you might want to know is that I am looking for a 17-20" with isight but I'm unsure of the ghz. I cannot use my moms computer because it is her work computer (she is a graphic designer).

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Jake

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Is the Mac mini too much? I personally wouldn't buy a used imac G5, too prone to failure, too expensive.

What do you want to use it for? A dual G4 tower and a nice screen might not cost too much.

3. saxkid07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on making movies and uploading them to youtube, etc.

Jake

4. descartes macrumors 6502

I would save up and get the intel 17" imac. I have seen refurbs on apple.com with full warranty for 6-700.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Good suggestion. You have to be patient, but 17" iMacs do pop up in the refurb store occasionally.

6. saxkid07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on asking for a few small things for christmas then recieving money for the rest(family etc.) and selling a few airsoft guns on ebay.

Thanks for all of your input,
    Jake

Let me know of any good deals. Theres a store I found with good deals on refurbs called applepalace and The 17" 1.9ghz with isight is at 610 which seems legit.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

I like the iMac G5s. My mom has the 2.0ghz 20 inch.

But if you are going for them, get the last revisions that have the iSight camera built in. Much better machines. 2.1ghz for 20" and 1.9ghz for 17".

If I had some extra cash, I'd splurge on the 17" for an extra puter in the kitchen. I would not pay more than 500 bucks for it. Make sure it comes with box, original stuff, too.

8. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Kitchen computers are great, recipe books are so unnecessary anymore. :)
    I badly want a G4 iMac to replace my kitchen windows dinosaur. :p They're such a great looking design.

9. descartes macrumors 6502

i have the same idea. maybe even wall mount the base.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Brilliant [​IMG] I know it seems a little silly replacing a five year old pc with an equally aged mac, but I really have to say that one was about perfect. The widescreen ones anyway, the 15in model can rot. :p

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Honestly buy a used early model Intel iMac through eBay for the price of a G5 through a regular reseller.

As long as the ebay seller has good feedback the transaction should be fine. The traditional Mac reseller just marks up too much in now a days, this is not the 90's were you did not really have any choice.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X