iMac G5 refuses to type out capital "s"-please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rosyclown, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rosyclown macrumors newbie

Hello, I have an iMac G5 with Tiger 10.4.11 and my mac refuses to write out the capital letter s (see?) in any program and any font. I have tried replacing the keyboard, and that doesn't work, and I don't remember when this trend started, but I have been through two keyboard changes. I am willing to buy a wireless keyboard if that helps. It used to write the s--something happened and now it doesn't. I have looked at Fontbook and cleared out surplus fonts I don't want anymore. I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Thanks,
    Rosy

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The key could be locked down. Did you spill anything on you keyboard? (sticky liquid: soda, juice)

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.UniversalAccess.plist (~/=Home Folder). Restart the computer and you should be all set.

5. rosyclown thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, and I am sorry but it didn't work. :(
    The problem also manifests as the Mac barking at me as if something is wrong when I do try to type an s in capitals. This computer has done this with other keyboards too, so it's not that I spilled anything on it. if the key were locked, i wouldn't be able to type s at all. Does anyone else have any ideas because it's been about a year like this.

:( Rosy

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try going to:

System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu -> (check) Keyboard Viewer, (check) Show input source in menu.

A new item should appear in the menu bar, probably with an American flag if you're using a default keyboard layout. Click on it and go to Show Keyboard Viewer. When you press the shift key, does the S become shifted? When you click the shifted S, do you get what is advertised?

Oh, does caps lock work?

7. rosyclown thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, when I go to the keyboard viewer as you instructed, no the s does not stay capitalized, and the Caps Lock doesn't work on there, but here is a sample of some writing with the locl on:

SAM THE SNAKE WENT TO THE SEA SHORE.SSSSS

Okay so apparently the s works on caps lock, but not on a mere shift.

Thanks so much for the ongoing help with this problem,

Look forward to more clues,
    Rosy:)

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Wait, you mean the S key appears in lowercase here when you hold the shift key down?

Attached Files:

9. rosyclown thread starter macrumors newbie

On the Keyboard Viwer, it appears as upper case, like so:

Attached Files:

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, and if you click the button in Keyboard Viewer you end up with a lowercase "s"?

(Sorry, I use an alternate keyboard layout.)

11. rosyclown thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I get nothing, no letter, just a noise telling me "hey stop that!", that Mac beepy noise if I press that capital s on the picture, just like the warning beep I get when I try to type it. It just won't allow me to type it, unless I have the caps lock on LIKE SO. Funny thing is, the mac just now barked at me because I wanted to write a cap s with my finger holding the shift down. Only when the caps are actually locked can i write it. :confused:

rosy

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You know, it sounds to me like shift+S has been somehow assigned as a hotkey for something. I'm just not sure where or how. System Preferences won't accept shift+character as a hotkey, so I'd assume it wouldn't be in there.

Try creating a new user account. Does the problem follow you there?

13. kelper macrumors newbie

I had this same problem on my MacBookPro. I tried logging out, then back in again. Shift-s again produces capital "S"! It appeared to have something to do with speech synthesis.