iMac G5 Repair Questions?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rollobancher, May 11, 2009.

1. rollobancher macrumors member

Hello Forum,

I just received an iMac G5 17" 1.8 Ghz from a friend which I need to repair, and I got a couple of questions. First, the iMac does not turn on; when I press the power button I get no response (I know that the power cable is OK). How do I know if this issue is related to the Power Supply or the Logic Board? I have a Power Supply from a PC (I believe it is 300 - 450 W), can I try this Power Supply with the iMac to rule out the Logic Board?

If not, what are other test that I can do to rule each piece of hardware out until I find the cause?

Thanks in advance for the support guys and gals! ;)

Joel

Edit: I have noticed online that there may be a recall, anyone have any more information on this?

http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-peripherals/37548-apple-g5-power-supply-recall.html

2. Carl Abudephane, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there was an extended repair program related to the power supplies in certain G5 iMacs but it ended in december 2008 IIRC.....it was a repair program and not a "recall"......and note that your link leads to a forum posting dated in 2003!!!!

4. MTI macrumors 65816

Any sounds from the internal cooling fans? If not, then your likely culprit is the power supply.

No, the iMac does not use the PC standard power supply - motherboard connectors. Unless you wanted to rewire the power supply, it's not going to happen.

Just as with a PC, you'll need a volt/multi-meter to test for DC voltage from the power supply. If it's not putting out the DCV, then that's the first issue, which doesn't rule out a bad logic board too.