Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j@yri¢hi£

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
California Pennsylvania
Today I imported a iCal file onto my iMac off of my iBook, well while i was working in iCal, my iMac slowed down, so i restarted it and when it starts up everything runs slow if i open something it will take atleast 2 minutes to open up and for it to run properly it would take more down time.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
j@yri¢hi£ said:
Today I imported a iCal file onto my iMac off of my iBook, well while i was working in iCal, my iMac slowed down, so i restarted it and when it starts up everything runs slow if i open something it will take atleast 2 minutes to open up and for it to run properly it would take more down time.

I have a feeling that one of those files is corrupt. If you're running 10.4.3, then go to Disk Utility>Your Disk>Verify Disk. If the disk verifies OK then repair permissions.

j@yri¢hi£

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
California Pennsylvania
liketom said:
how old is your iBook maybe your HDD is dying ?

i'm running an iMac G5

and i tried the Disk Utility and that didn't work either i repaired the disk and the permissions and i quit out of that when it started up i could run maybe one application and then it would freeze up shortly and everytime i would try to do anything it owuld continue to freeze up

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
j@yri¢hi£ said:
i'm running an iMac G5

and i tried the Disk Utility and that didn't work either i repaired the disk and the permissions and i quit out of that when it started up i could run maybe one application and then it would freeze up shortly and everytime i would try to do anything it owuld continue to freeze up
Update prebindings ....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93984

This has the method, even though it says for a single app.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
j@yri¢hi£ said:
i can't get that far without it freezing up
You can't run Disk First Aid in Disk Utilities off the boot drive.

Must be run off the DVD -- since it won't fix drives with open files, and OS X is a lot of open files when running.

Alternatively holding Command-S during boot and following the directions on the screen for 'fsck' is another method of repairing the drive. Type 'reboot' to restart the machine.

Neither of these is a one pass fix, keep running it until there are no errors, or the same ones keep popping up and aren't fixed.

----

Update Permission in Disk Utilities must be run off the HD, since it requires the packages on the HD. Running it off the DVD makes use of the wrong files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.