Imac g5 ssd upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Khopcraft, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Khopcraft macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone, I am trying to upgrade an old PPC Imac with an ssd to make applications load at nice speeds. Its basically just used for browsing the internet, so I figured an ssd would be a super duper upgrade.

So I installed this ssd into it, and installed 10.5.6. It boots up, gives me that welcome video, and then I proceed to configure the Keyboard and make the account. You know, the usual. But once I finish that, the ssd stops working. Thus, I am unable to read/write... anything.

I turn off the computer, and turn it on again and it does not boot. It has the flashing icon in the middle of a white screen basically saying there is nothing bootable connected. So I pop in the install disk, go into disk utility and try to verify the ssd but it can't be verified nor can it be repaired. It also doesn't mount. So I erase it, partition it and try it all again. Then it happens again. I did this about 5 times. The same thing just repeats every time I try to install.

Any tips? Its an OCZ Vertex Plus 240GB ssd.

I am quite tech savy, having built a few computers and what not, so I am able to follow through on any information without much help.

Thanks
    -Kevin.

----------

Oops, wrong section, should be in ppc Imac. Sorry.

Could an admin move it please?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Just buy an iMac with an SSD in it.

3. Mengele macrumors member

OCZ is bad with macs. Return it and get Intel, Samsung or OWC.

4. n0cus macrumors 6502

Sorry buddy, but I think it is time to upgrade. If you did get the SSD to work it would be bottle necked by a SATA I connection.

You may want to try a diffrent SSD?

5. jwhazel macrumors regular

Not really. An ssd helps speed boot up and application load time. If you're just browsing the web, you only really need one app for that. An ssd simply for this purpose is far from a super duper upgrade.

It sounds to me like the file system is getting corrupted during setup for whatever reason. If possible, hook the drive up to a wintel machine and see if you can update the firmware. You could also try cloning the original drive onto the ssd.

6. Khopcraft thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, maybe not a super duper upgrade. But it will increase the speed of booting, and getting into the browser, so a worthwhile upgrade none the less (even if limited by sata 1).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will try them.

7. Mengele macrumors member

That doesn't matter. The primary point of an SSD over a hard drive is not read/write speed, its zero latency.
    That zero latency is very much noticeable in older computers and laptops. Laptops further benefit by the greatly reduced power consumption and weight.