Imac G5 Tiger update speed crawling?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tom vilsack, Oct 21, 2014.

1. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Just bought a Imac G5 2.0 17" rev 3 tonight...

Installed Tiger and now trying to install updates...but the speed is sooooo slow (I'm talking 2 hours for like 40mb!)

My normal speed is about 23.75 using speedtest.net (so speed shouldn't be a issue)

I had safari 4.1.3 and flash 10.1 on cd so updated to see my speedtest on this Imac and it's still about 21.00 using speedtest

So did apple turn down there servers for older osx versions???

2. tom vilsack, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Note: must be there Tiger update server being slow (or at least where I live...van cdn) because from same new Imac G5 using Safari I downloaded latest version of itunes (just to check out dl speed) and it was zipping along...

btw: picked it up off craigs for $40 cdn...pretty much in mint cond (opened her up...don't we wish all imac were this easy to open) all caps look good ,also nice and clean....only has 1 512 stick so will hunt down for 2 -1 g sticks and then ug to leopard...

3. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nobody else updating either tiger or leopard using the "software update" not noticing this slow speed?

I also notice this when I tried dl last itunes for tiger

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1056

note: if however I try and download a modern version of itunes on said imac G5 it downloads nice and fast.....

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

I had no issue

I repaired an ibook G4 and reloaded a pismo, and 3 old desktops with 10.4.11 combo update and it took about 5 min to download each. I suggest plugging right into the router not using wireless (if you are)

5. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I em using ethernet plug...did you download updates in last day or so?

Can you click on link above and also confirm fast dl speed...because with that link I crawl!!!

6. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Did you try to download it during 10.10 Yosemite's initial rush to download? For some reason, I feel this is to blame.

7. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

MysticCow can you try dl older itunes 9 with above link and tell me your speed?

Even on other computers I have it's painfully slow,where as newer itunes ect download fast.....guess Im wondering if apple is about to pull the plug on tiger and leopard...

8. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Apple are probably using an old G4 mac mini as a server for the updates

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would doubt that they would cut the download server for those as they still have Intel machines needing updates. Perhaps for Tiger but definitely not Leopard.

10. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would be happy to but my Internet is down. I am writing this in Tapatalk over LTE.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those older files are downloading at nominal speeds for me.

13. tom vilsack, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Humm...I wonder why when I try dl that older file (even on my newer macbook) or updating tiger/leopard Im getting super slow speeds...yet if I download a newer file (say new itunes ect) I have no issues at all...or when I check my speed at speedtest.net or speakeasy ect my speeds are fine....

Maybe it's a issue living in Canada and some type routing issue?

This one has me lost!

edit: for fun I partitioned my macbook and installed mavericks on second partition...the updating is also super slow...so must be factor of Yosemite and whatever route apple and my isp use for the slow down....bit of a pain right now,but guessing in a few days things will be back to norm