iMac G5 Unix - can't login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nwhorton, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Nwhorton macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I believe I have read somewhere once that there is solution to this problem. I use Mac OS 10.5.2, Unix. I have two User accounts and because I switch back and forth between them frequently, they both have Admin Privileges.

No one else uses my computer. My computer is not connected to the internet, ever. (It's terrible in this country anyway)
    Both accounts are password protected. Upon "boot up" or "logging out" to switch Users (I don't use the "fast-switch" option the system offers), I am presented with a window, requiring User Name, Password, and the choices of (not sure of order) Shut down, Sleep, Restart and Login.

No User names are present at that time.

Problem? I can't login. My password is rejected each time and I know it is right. Not only that, but the Login window, now has underneath the grey Apple Logo, the name of one of the accounts. This shouldn't be, unless it had been sleeping or in energy saving mode, meaning that particular account was still "active" if you will. But it wasn't. I had shut it down before leaving.

What to do? I know the password is correct. Isn't there a way to get in that I don't know how to do but a techie could, or with some sort of Apple bypass software?

Before this, I just downloaded and installed a new version of VLC, Quicktime and tried iTunes 10.1.1 but that wouldn't take. Perhaps the fact I was still at iTunes, version 7, is why. But, everything else worked fine until I returned from the internet cafe (I don't have internet where I live), put in some new desktop pics from Pixdaus.com, turned the machine off and left for a few hours.
    Came back, booted up and can't get in!!!

Help please if anyone knows a way to safely, somehow backdoor in.
    I haven't played with User accounts in System Preferences at all.
    Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Boot the machine from the OS X install disk. You can reset the admin password from the installer menu.

Worth running disk utility from the same place while you're at it - if there's any file system corruption it will pick that up (and hopefully fix it).

3. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

4. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

5. Nwhorton thread starter macrumors newbie

G5 login problems: About resetting password

thanks.
    I did that but the new passwords won't work at all either.
    I try going to 'safe boot' before rebooting back to my regular login screen but they don't work.
    Now I have my two user accounts, two new ones that won't open and one System Administrator (root) and wonder if this the one I should change.

Have no idea how this could have happened and I am desperate right about now. I know there must be a way in but in this country it is nigh on impossible to find someone who knows Macs and is really program savvy - or whatever I need.

Something seems to have changed my permissions maybe? I don't know. I certainly didn't do anything. The only thing I can think of is that trying to update from iTunes 7 to iTunes 10.1.1 was too big a jump or maybe the new version was for Linux and I'm still Unix. hell, I don't know. Depressed