[iMac G5] Upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacRumors Guy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

Hi I have an old iMac G5 1.8 with a gig of RAM, recently the screen started showing pink dots all over and distorting colors. I'm sending it to repair should I upgrade the RAM to 2 Gigs? It's just 60€, will it make a diference?

2. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Do it! It will make a difference. Good luck with the repair.
    :)

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for it, it will make a noticeable difference.

5. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Whoah whoah! Everyone is focusing on the RAM, I'm much more concerned with the pink dots and distortion. If your logic board or video card is fried, it's going to be a very costly repair, and you'd be much better off buying a used or refurb Intel iMac than repairing a PPC Mac.

Make sure you get an estimate for repair and report back to us before you do anything!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was assuming this is an AppleCare issue or else covered by the recall (because I thought about the same thing when I read this), but in case it is not... yes, I would seriously doubt the quoted cost of replacing the logic board would be even remotely reasonable.

If you're paying for the repair, then you should really just scrap the Mac (sell it for parts, etc) and buy an Intel-based one.

7. MacRumors Guy thread starter macrumors member