iMac G5 vs latest iMac (Leopard)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seabiscuit, Nov 2, 2007.

1. seabiscuit macrumors newbie

I currently own an iMac G5 which has a 2 GHz processor, 1.5 GB Ram, 400 GB Hard Disk, and a 20" screen.

I have been thinking about upgrading to the most recently released intel iMac. Will I see a big speed increase? What are the advantages of an intel based iMac over a PPC iMac?

Is it worth taking the time to sell this one and to upgrade? How will Leopard run on my PPC iMac if I decide to upgrade the OS from Tiger to Leopard? What are people's experiences with running leopard on an older machine like the one that I have?

I appreciate any input that I may receive from my inquiry.

Thanks

Seabiscuit

2. big.birdd macrumors member

big.birdd

hmm well dont take the leap to the new imac now, not with all the freezing issues and such... stick it out until theres a fix, then decide whether or not to upgrade :)

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

umm, nonsense, I have a 2.8GHz Intel iMac at it screams. No freezing issues. It is a great machine and now is the perfect time with 10.5 just released to upgrade. You won't see any changes to the iMac line before late-February at the earliest, and more like March or April.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You have to consider software issues. The Intel Mac will run your PPC s/w under Rosetta or you'll have to upgrade to newer versions making an upgrade that much more expensive. *

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The problems people are reporting with the Aluminum iMac are good points, and of course, also, depending on what you do, Rosetta may be an important concern.

Those two things aside, if you use the Geekbench results as a rough guide, the Aluminum Macs range from 3200-3700 (the latter being the C2E model). The iMac G5 2.0 runs around 1200. So the current C2Ds and C2Es are really astonishingly faster. (I own an iMac G5 / 2.0 also for what it's worth, although I'm not particularly planning on going to Leopard, however.

6. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

just to clear things up an update has been made that takes care of the freezing issue it was released today for tiger and leopard

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a 24" iMac 2.4 GHz pretty much stock other than the 4 GB of RAM I chucked in it. It files under Leopard, the G5 wouldn't come close to the performance of this thing, unless you need PPC apps. No issues with freezing... it just works.

8. ANTdod macrumors newbie

ANTdod

Switching to iMac

Hi,
    As you are talking about the latest iMac I would like to ask a question.
    I am a web designer/developer thinking about a switch to Macs.
    I am choosing bettwen an iMac 20" 2.4 and a MBP 15".

I plan to go for iMac 20" as I don't need portability for now and
    I like big screen/resolution but... I am bit afraid of glossy screen.
    Usually people recommend matte for design/photography
    and there is also a concern of reflections (I work in a quite bright
    room).

iMac is also cheaper than MBP but if necessary, I can spend more
    and buy Matte MBP.

Thanks

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

ANTdod, I'm sure you can get a dozen answers that say, "My glossy screen is perfect, go for it!" and another dozen answers that say, "I will never buy a glossy screen, and anyone who gets one for design work is a fool." However, where do you live? Is it not possible for you to go to an Apple store and see for yourself. It's really the best option. Also the environment is usually brightly lit in Apple stores -- particularly the ones with street access -- so it should give you a good taste of how it'd be in your space.

10. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I have a 2.8 C2D iMac and love it. Screen is perfect. No freezing. Love it. I wouldn't upgrade from a G5 unless I needed it for encoding H.264 or something. I have a Dual 1 Ghz G4 Power Mac and Leopard runs beautifully on it so your G5 should be just fine.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I thought people were reporting that the freezing was not fixed...