iMac G5 Whirring Noise after freeze

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Valeyard, Apr 28, 2009.

1. The Valeyard macrumors member

Yesterday I started my iMac G5 and after about 15 minutes, it froze. It's happened before but I can always move the mouse. This is the first time it has actually properly froze. After about 2 minutes, I got a very loud whirring noise. I left it for about 5 minutes and it didn't die down. It has now been left for about 24 hours with the occasional turn on to see if it's fixed. No joy. Now it won't even turn on. I'm sorry I can't give you any specs because I can't open it to get them and I haven't memorised them.

PLEASE HELP!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sounds like it was using the CPU hardcore before it froze and the fans spun up. It could have burnt itself out, or the power supply could have gone bad. I'm not too sure though as I never had a G5 or newer iMac.

3. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

it mustve been doing something intensive when it froze and thats y the fans went on. how long did u leave it on after uturned it back on, u kno it needs time for it to cool down it self

5. msevild macrumors regular

Does the iMac have a built in iSight camera?(weird question, but the answer will help).

6. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

Answers

ceezy:
    I was trying to open iTunes. I turned it off, then on again. I opened DVD Player and played Doctor Who 40th Anniversary Celebration (a compilation of clips on The 3 Doctors) and it stopped and kept playing the last few frames it was like du-du-du-du over and over again until the whirring noise came on. After a while the time it stayed on before the noise came on got shorter. I left it on for about 2-3 minutes before I turned it on. I'll try and leave it on for about half an hour.

mslevid:
    No.

7. The Valeyard thread starter macrumors member

I left it on for about 20 minutes and nothing.

8. GoldMan macrumors member

GoldMan

Why so many problems with the freezing issue :(
    Try to call apple support :confused: