iMac G5, Wireless Keyboard and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bankers75, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Bankers75 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard and an iMac G5.
    I am trying to connect to the wireless keyboard via bluetooth. I have a bluetooth dongle/adapter in my USB port which I have configured ok.
    Can someone help me/or advise me as to why I am having trouble connecting to the keyboard? Sometimes it finds it other times (mainly all the time) it doesnt find it.

It tells me that the keyboard has connected but I cannot type on it.

Am I doing something drastically wrong for it not to work or arent iMac G5s compliant with wireless keyboards using a bluetooth dongle?

If it is a problem with the dongle, is it possible to install a bluetooth adapter into the iMac and the keyboard work effectively?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Bankers

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

iMac G5's came standard with Bluetooth. No need for a Bluetooth dongle. Are you sure the keyboard is Bluetooth and not RF? If it is in fact a Bluetooth keyboard then maybe there is a conflict between Apple's built-in Bluetooth and the third party dongle.

3. Bankers75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there
    Thanks for responding. I'm not too sure what you mean about all iMac G5's having bluetooth as standard because mine doesn't. There isn't even anything about Bluetooth mentioned in the System Preferences. That only shows up when I attach the Bluetooth dongle.

The keyboard I bought is a Bluetooth one not a RF one so it should hook up with the Bluetooth dongle ok.

Now my reckoning is it may well be an OS issue and not a hardware one. I guess I need to upgrade my OS to 10.7 for the wireless keyboard to work ok.
    Will OS 10.7 run on the iMac G5s? It may seem like a stupid question and I guess it can be answered with a little bit of research but I thought I'd ask the question.

Thanks