iMac G5 with 23" cinema display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heyitsclint, Jun 10, 2011.

1. heyitsclint, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

heyitsclint macrumors newbie

Today I purchased a really nice 23" cinema display on craigslist. It is the older non aluminum model, but in perfect condition, the guy even left the isight camera on it. It was $100 total, so I thought it was a good deal. Once I got home and attempted to hook it up to my g5 imac to replace my tired 17 inch monitor, I discovered the connector was dvi. I saw it at the guys house, but didn't think it would be an issue to get an inexpensive adapter on ebay. I googled my situation, and I found a few people saying it isn't possible. As I was browsing adapters, I see that I can get a DVi to vga and then a vga to mini vga. This in theory will get the connections correct, but my question is will it actually work? The issue I am not able to figure out is if the analog output of the G5 iMac can be converted to the digital input of the cinema display. If it isn't possible, I have 2 options. I can use it for an external monitor for my macbooks, or bring it back to the seller who told me that would be fine if I wasn't able to get the connections wrong. I don't mind spending the money on the adapters. It will be about $10.00 total, and that is a gamble I am willing to take. What I don't want to gamble with is the iMac or the monitor. Will one or the other suffer damage by hooking it up with 2 adapters? Do any of you know anyone that has tried it? I am using the screen spanning doctor firmware currently, and it works great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Clint
    By the way, my imac is a 20" 1.8ghz ppc G5 2gig ram if that helps.

2. MacHamster68, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the thing with adaper to adapter will work, on a display that can handle analogue signal ,i had 2 samsung 960bf on my iMac g5 one via mini vga to vga and a cheap dell vga to dvi cable and it worked because the samsung monitor could handle any form of analogue or digital signal as long as the connector was dvi at the monitor end ,
    but as far as i know (someone correct me if i am wrong ) the cinema display cant handle analogue signal as its made for digital input , so yes you can definitely connect it if you use a converter vga to dvi (means a converter that converts the analogue signal into digital signal ) but these converters cost more then you payed for your cinema display

but cheaper is a usb to dvi adapter
    like that one here
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xat4y0_arkview-multi-display-usb-2-0-to-dv_tech
    if thats really good enough ......its supposed to handle up to 1080p but i wont vouch for that statement

i had a similar no name (chineses signs as brand name) one of ebay for £15, but it could only handle up to 720p , but was good enough for the third ! monitor (samsung 960bf too )on the iMac G5 mentioned above to work on (word excel) dokuments

3. heyitsclint thread starter macrumors newbie

This model uses an ADC (Apple Display Connector), which carries analog and digital video signals, USB data, and power in the same cable and requires a Mac with an ADC connection and a video card with 32 MB or more of video memory.

I just pulled the above from everymac.com.

I also took my imac and the cinema display to a local store that thought he could get things running, but no luck. I did discover that the monitor included a nice extra. it came with the ADC to DVi converter. I guess these are fairly expensive. I'm now puzzled as to why it won't work, since the specs say the connector carries both analog and digital video signals. I am going go see if there is a adc to vga converter.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

max external resolution with a G5 iMac is 1024 X 768 if I remember correctly -- although there was some hack to bypass it.

Id sell the screen and the iSight and the DVI adapter separatetly.

You might get close to $400 for the lot.