Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g5quad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Picked up an imac g5 at auction. Was interupted during install. Now it will not boot with OSX cd. It just spins. Any Ideas?

g5quad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Yes, and I have also tried the option key to see if I can run hardware test

g5quad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Thanks for getting me to think of basics. Would not zap pram so I plugged in another keyboard and presto.

Thanks

g5quad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Last obstacle is that only got Install disk 1. Is there a way to install with the 1st disk only (since install disk 2 is really just extras) ???

mblues

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Try resetting the PRAM (3 cycles) then try booting from cd/dvd with C key.

Whats this PRAM all about? .. been having a similar issue when trying to reformat ma G5.. holding C does nothing.. same with holding option. I just keep getting taken to the logon screen which asks me for a password i have no idea of.

Thanks for getting me to think of basics. Would not zap pram so I plugged in another keyboard and presto.

Would not zap pram?.. in english that means? haha

SO tryin a different keyboard could do the trick?.. mines does let me type in the logon/password feidl.. so it does work.. but could that be an issue when trying to get this boot from cd thing going?

Little feedback would be grand likes... nice1.

Oh and the cd i;m using is an early version of OX than what is currently installed.. however it's all i have atm. It will let me install an older version ey?

Bit of a pain all this but i got the mac cheap so can't complain.. just wish i could get it up-n-running.. had it a while and hate the fect its sittin doin nothing.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
You cannot downgrade a Mac so you will need the original disks which should always stay with the Mac they came with or retail install disks the same or newer.

mblues

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
You cannot downgrade a Mac so you will need the original disks which should always stay with the Mac they came with or retail install disks the same or newer.

Aaah.. ok that'll explain why am not getting anywhere. Don;t have the original disks so i guess imma have to try get ahold of a retail edition.

Ta for response tho yeh. :)

Can i also just ask.. i have just bought one of these new slimline keyboard thingys... would that maybe be a cause of not being able to use option, D or C keys during it booting up?.. Thought i'd ask incase i end up goin out and buyin a 2nd hand one for no reason.

Ta again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.