iMac G5 won't boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gvsbdisco, May 17, 2007.

1. gvsbdisco macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have an iMac G5 20" that is approximately two years old. About 2-3 weeks ago it started acting a bit flakey....it would lock up on std apps (firefox), it would always lock up after being revived from sleeping etc. I ran the hardware test and everything checked out. Then a few days ago it wouldn't boot. I get the chime, I hear the drive spinning, then the fans kick into high gear and I get a screen with a folder in the middle with a "question mark icon" and a "finder icon" displaying alternatively inside the folder. So I booted up the hardware test dvd and the test failed 27 seconds in with the following error code:

2GMC/2/15: built-in
    Logic Board Error Detected

Are there any other steps I should be taking before taking in for service?

thanks
    mike

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

back up your hard drive, and if you have an external FW, try booting from that just to rule out the drive, although the hardware test makes it pretty clear that there is an issue with the logic board. but its always good to have a backup. (if you have another mac use FW Target Disk Mode to get the files you need. i'd think it should be able to get into that state or at least hope.)

3. dcv macrumors G3

If it's a 1.8GHz model click here

If it's a 2.0GHz model click here

Although it's detected a logic board failure, perhaps there are other issues too; it's worth checking your serial number as described above as you might be covered under one of the repair programmes.

4. gvsbdisco thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...

i do have other macs so i guess i will need to go buy a firewire cable to connect the two machines together. Also, it appears that my serial number falls into the range of numbers for the power/video extension (although I doubt thats my problem)

Thanks for replying

mike

5. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I just found out today, sent in my computer to get a new PSU and Logic Board, thinking thats why my computer was shutting off constantly, to my surprise the tech that called said I had in-proper memory in my iMac, even thought I bought the computer directly from Apple 3 years ago and never touched the memory :mad: