iMac G5 won't start (could be the logic board.. maybe not)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by monke, Sep 8, 2009.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

On the eve of Apple's iPod event, I doubt this will get too much attention, but here goes anyway.

The iMac was running iTunes and Adium, suddenly iTunes starts skipping and nothing was responding, so I hit the power button. Then the fans hit full blast, iMac is still on. Holding down the power button shuts it off.

Starting it up hasn't happened... yet. Press the power button, the ambient light sensor comes on, sometimes will fade away, other times it wont. Display stays off, and in about a minute the fans roar into full blast again. I've tried resetting the PRAM and VRAM, but no success. Not getting a chime or anything out of it..

Help? :eek:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Are you able to safe boot? Hold down shift after pushing the power.

3. devburke Guest

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Also, you'll want to check out this Apple support page.

5. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Nothing from safe boot. I had a chime earlier, and the usual mechanical start up sounds, but nothing from the display and the fans kicked in after about a minute. ...

I'll try that article too, but it'll have to be tomorrow at this point.

6. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Followed all the steps in that article you posted iBookG4user. Down to step 12, the second LED comes on and stays on (until I shut it off after the fans kick in of course). :confused:

Edit/Update: Reading further into Apple's Support documents, I read this article. In step 11, it states that if the third LED will not come on (which mine doesn't), that my logic board needs to be replaced... Also, of note, I can hear the hard drive making noises and running, so I'm guessing its not dead.

7. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

I'm trying the Target Disk Mode, but that's not working either... any other suggestions, or is this thing a paperweight?

8. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Since I last posted, I've been able to get:

- The 3rd LED light now comes on (means the logic board and display can make a connection)
    - SuperDrive starts now
    - The usual chime is back almost everytime I start
    - Gotten as far as the login screen (just once), but can get to the grey Apple loading screen 75% of the time now.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, try seeing if you can run the Apple Hardware test on your iMac.

10. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Kinda late, but I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this.

Couldn't run the hardware test, but I pull the hard drive out, and it works. I borrowed an adapter off a friend, and it's transferring the files to an external right now. That's a gigantic sigh of relief, it was still running Tiger, and I hadn't backed up anything for a while.

I emailed a local repair shop, they figure that it could be the power supply, and want $82.00 for the fix. Is that about normal, and is that likely the problem?

Thanks for all the help by the way.