iMac G5 won't start up, can't do a reinstall

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Downhill theory, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Downhill theory macrumors newbie

Okay, so last week my power supply died, and I had it taken to the Apple Store, and they replaced it. It was given back to me, I turned it on, ready and eager to use it again, and when I opened up Mail, my computer froze up. I couldn't even do a force quit.

So, I turned it off, and when I tried to start it again, it just got hung up on the white apple loading screen. It just sits there, spinning around, and after about a minute the fans kick on super loud. I've left it for almost 5 minutes, but it just sits there.

I've tired using the reinstall discs, but when I get to the "Pick a Volume" it won't load anything, it just sits there "Gathering Information"

I tried using the Leopard and the Panther discs, but with the same results. Disk Utility shows that I have the HD there.

I'm really, really hoping that my HD didn't just corrupt out of nowhere.
    What can I do here? I'm not about to take it back to Apple because, whatever they did seemed to mess it up.

Anyone got any suggestions what I can do?

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

this happened to a friend of mine last year and his MacBook... he couldn't choose a volume on install because his hard drive was dead, hence not being able to select a volume... i'm assuming your HD is dead...

could be the Apple Store's fault though... their fix may have been more damaging than helpful... i can assure you that some so-called "technicians" at the Apple Store are retarded and should not be working there... another friend of mine, same situation, last year MacBook HD failed - apple replaced the HD and did the worst hack of an OS reinstall i've ever seen... fist they called the HD "APPLE STORE" or something unchangeable like that, and a bunch of apps were missing... and that's just the start, i'll let your imagination wonder...

sorry about your computer...

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen poorly-seated RAM cause the same issues, so remove it and reinstall it.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have You tried reparing your disk using disk utility on Your reinstall disks.
    You can also try to repair the permissions using the same disk utility.
    Have You got a bootable backup,if so try that.
    Hope it works.
    Succes Perry

5. California macrumors 68040

California

6. Downhill theory thread starter macrumors newbie

We tried resetting the PRAM first, but it didn't do anything.

In Disk Utility, we tried repairing the disk, but it gets to about 1/4 of the way done and everything just freezes up.

A friend of mine gave me Disk Warrior, so, we're hoping that might work.

Our next try will be Target Disk Mode