iMac G5 won't start up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SimonBook, Sep 25, 2012.

1. SimonBook macrumors member

SimonBook

Hi,

I'm unable to start up my iMac G5 (bought 2005). I get so far as the white start up screen with the grey Apple logo and the spiral thingy. This screen appears for a good thirty seconds, then the computer shuts off. Yesterday I manually turned off the computer after it froze. Since then I'm unable to start it up again.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any help/ideas is/are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

2. bruceko macrumors newbie

The G5 imac had problems with the power supply. The capacitors went bad. counterfit caps were flooding the market back then.
    Apple had a silent recall on the Imacs but it is long over

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Not saying your wrong or anything but wouldn't that result in the iMac not starting at all?

4. bruceko macrumors newbie

Yes he said it won't start up at all
    Some times they will start but there is not enough power for the hard drive. It will not spin up to speed

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well he sais the screen powers up, spinning wheel on the screen under the apple logo.
    If the spinning wheel is there then the HDD has powered up as its reading data.

Its starting up fine, from what I can figure out, but its not finishing the boot.

SimonBook, try inserting the install disk 2 which came with the iMac. At boot up, before the apple logo appears on screen, press and hold the d key. This run start up the apple hardware test. If it boots to the windows then let it run the test, extended tests if possible, observe what its doing. If something is wrong then it will tell you in the status window (or whatever its called). If it doesn't specifically tell you whats wrong but shuts down at one point during the test, make sure you know what it was testing last. Post back here with results.