iMac G5 won't turn on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by reebzor, Jan 3, 2012.

1. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Hey so a friend gave me an iMac G5 to work on. It won't turn on. I left it plugged in for a couple hours and nothing happens. I've read a few things and tried them: Reset SMC, Manually reset SMU, pressed the Internal power button, etc. The only thing that happens is LED 1 is lit when the machine is plugged in. I have checked all of the capacitors and they all look perfect, no bulging or leaking. Is there anything else I can try?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I have a similar problem with my iMac G5 iSight; however, it will making a noise as if it is revving up and is on, but the screen never comes on.

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Certainly sounds like a power issue. Lucky for you the iMac G5 is one of the easiest Macs to open and work on.

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Try replacing the PRAM Battery. (CR2032 button cell)

I've read that these power supplies require the 3V from this in order to allow the computer to power on. My iMac's battery had 2.8v, wouldn't turn on. Replaced it with a new battery that metered @ 3.2v, fired right up.

6. reebzor thread starter macrumors 6502a

reebzor

cool, thanks. I will pick up a new battery and see how it goes.

7. reebzor thread starter macrumors 6502a

reebzor

So I installed a new PRAM battery, still nothing. Like I said, LED1 is lit when AC power is connected which means that the PSU is supplying power to the board. There is no visible damage to the board or anything. I don't have access to another iMac power supply to test this with... Looking for something else... anyone?

8. 666sheep, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Man, see this link I've posted in my first answer. Especially what LED 2 means. You need a new (working) PSU. One (or more) rails in your PSU doesn't deliver right voltage to logic board. That's what I've tried to tell you earlier. ;)
    You could remove PSU and check it for bad caps, if you'll see them bulged, leaked etc it will be more than obvious where the problem is.

9. reebzor thread starter macrumors 6502a

reebzor

You didn't explain anything you just posted a link to an article that I already read.

Like I said, I had already read that article and referring to the bold text: My LED1 is on, which according to that means my PSU is working correctly. Since my computer is not turned on, LED2 shouldn't be on. That is how I interpreted the information.

I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact I believe you are correct. The Apple article you linked to is not worded very well. I found a different article that explains the LED's better and it led me to believe the power supply is definitely the issue. Now it's time to open it up and check it out.

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yeah, maybe I used a kind of mental shortcut ;)

I meant that if LED 2 doesn't come on after pushing power button PSU is always the first suspect.
    Keep us posted :)