imac g5

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by axeldtf, Nov 3, 2009.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

Im 2004 and 2005 i purchased two imac g5's both with 1.6ghz and 768ram. At this moment neither one work. Was there a problem with these models? Apple returned one and gave me a brand new and current model. (which was amazing on their part) My second one was working up until recently. Now when i power it up it just make the apple tone and then nothing happens. I even tried connecting it to another display. Are there any stores out there that do simple repairs on these models? It's a good system to listen to itunes or surf the web. I'd hate to trash it.

2. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Hello!

I repair Imac G5's all the time. They are great machines but sadly have a logic board problems. The logic board capacitors had a defect where they end up eventually leaking or bulging. After this happens the computer is unusable untill the logic board is replaced or the board capacitors are replaced.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice, i am a novice with taking them apart, perhaps i'll make it my project.

4. MacTech68, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The Power Supplies also suffer from bad caps (as do most switch-mode power supplies over time). I suspect the heat problems associated with putting a G5 CPU into such a small enclosure has seen many of these machines with a good set of caps recently beginning to fail.

PSU repairs may be assisted by this info.

Mother Board repairs by this info.

Not for the faint hearted and would require somebody with reasonable soldering skills.
    ________
    grape ape pictures

5. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

These are excellent links MacTech, thanks. I am finding your posts tremendously useful, please keep them coming.

You're not actually Jim are you? Your blog says you are Tony but I suspect you are both. How many people can there really be living in Perth, Australia? ;-)

Either way- great stuff, thanks for sharing.

6. MacTech68, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Actually, I'm probably better known in Perth Mac circles as Anthony.

And at last count, I think there's 2 million people here now. :eek: Which is about double what there was when I was in short trousers. ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback, quantum003 :)
    ________
    bho hash oil