iMac Gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LegenHarry, Nov 30, 2012.

1. LegenHarry macrumors newbie

Hello,

First of all I want to say hi as I'm new to this forum as registered member, I've been watching the forums for about a year, last year I wanted to buy an Imac but this forum showed me that I could better wait for the next gen Imac, I'm happy that I did wait. But now with the new Imacs all kind of threads are showing up and im trully not knowing what to get or what to do so I am posting for the first time( I'm more a forum reader then a forum poster :cool:).

Now the problem for me is that my gaming pc is quite fine, but in all honesty I just want the great new display and I also want to try mac os as I'm an interested nerd and fan of all apple products.

Can I expect that the new Imac will still be of value for serious gaming after two years ( if there isn't a sudden revolution or so) with decent fps on decent settings atleast? Or should I really just not buy an Imac as its really just not made for gaming?...

If your still reading to my patheticly written story then I'd like to inform you that I will be going(if I go for an Imac) for the 27 inch I7 with 680MX, but I'm not sure if I should go for applecare as I think im quite fine with just a year warranty and in my opinion if it breaks after the 1 year applecare then your just not carefull enough with your imac....Or am I wrong and should I get the 180 euro applecare?...

Also as a last question, if I should get an Imac for gaming should I go for the fusion drive or for the normal 7200RPM drive... I heard that the fusion has 5400RPM and I will be using bootcamp for a lot of steam games...

~Sidenote: money is important but please don't start like "Go build yourself a pc its much cheaper" cause I know that it ain't cheaper if you get such a great display and (I think great) OS and build in cable management. Building a pc is less expensive but with the right things your also hitting 1500 fast and that is without such a great display.

Thanks in advance!

Harry.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you want to game with a mac - get the best video card (future proof a little)

AppleCare - you can purchase the extended AppleCare any time within the 1st year.

Drive - get the fusion drive if you can afford it.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I'm not a gamer, so I can't advise you on that, but by all means, get the Applecare. You are going to be spending $2000+ on this, so a $300 cost is not much at all when it comes to protecting it. It's also a major design revision, so there's a better then usual possibility that it breaks early. Get the AppleCare, you won't regret it.
    As for the hard drive, you could get the stock drive, get your own SSD, put the SSD inside and use the stock as an external drive for all your files and documents.

4. LegenHarry thread starter macrumors newbie

The fusion drive doesn't it slow me down when I'm in bootcamp...?

And thanks for the suggestion of taking the apple care within a year, ill buy it but not straight away.