iMac getting 3.00 download, 2.00 upload speed, something wrong?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by louis0nfire, Nov 15, 2010.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I don't know if these are normal numbers or if there's something wrong with the settings I have used. The router is Belkin, ISP is cable (Cablevision in NY). Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you be more specific what these numbers mean, what units they use (MB/s or KB/s or Kb/s or Mb/s or something else) and what service you used to get these numbers?

Normally the upload speed is slower than the download speed anyway.

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And what about
    ?

Look here for various upload and download speeds throughout the world and see how the upload speed differs from the download speed.

Unless you have ADSL, your speed ratio is quite good, tough the actual speeds are okay by today's numbers, as 3Mb/s is 375KB/s and 2Mb/s is 250KB/s.

Twenty bytes at a time I guess.

5. Scippy macrumors regular

So what do you think is the problem? Your internet is too fast/slow? We need more info.

6. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. I'm using speedtest.net for these results. I think my speeds are really slow.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then contact your ISP and see if they can provide better speeds or do you get better speeds with other devices on the same network using www.speedtest.net?
    Does you contracted plan have a set download or upload speed like many of these do? I for example use a 16Mbit/s plan and get roughly 1.9MB/s, thus I get almost the full advertised and contracted speed.

8. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Friends in my area with the same plan, same ISP get about 12mbps down. All devices of mine get the same speed.

9. GyroFX macrumors 6502

sounds like you have a line/modem/router issue. Could be any of those. Have your isp do a line check for your house

10. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

It all depends on what your internet provider sends you, it is slow but you may want to see if you are buying that speed or more.

Take into consideration that upload speed is always slower than download speed.

Other things you should know, when talking about 2 Megabits per second if you want to know how fast your download speed will be than divide it by 8 (because in rough science one Byte is composed by 8 bits) and you will get a download speed of 0.250 MB per second (250 KB/s)

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Give the ISP a call and WTF is this. If you're paying for more than 3Mb/s (e.g. 12Mb/s like you said), then they should definitely do something for it.