Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tal160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
I have problems with my iMac lately. its says that in the diagnostic.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 248

tal160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
yes
i have my iMac almost 2 and a half years now, and in the past 2 months the computer getting stuck all the time! its not like its stuck a little bit, its actually stuck like i can't even press the apple logo on the screen at some point and its always show me that signal when the computer "thinking" and nothing happened after a while like minute or two it can open the program i was pointing at..
its really weird because i remember it fast computer.
btw i wasn't using the computer for a while like a year and a half and no one was using it..

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The machine sat unused for a year and a half?

My suggestion is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall OS X. Perhaps the data on the drive is corrupted.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I find it very suspicious that one would have a mac for two years and not use it for 18 months.

Maybe the OP will shine some light on your comment. OP did not say if it was working before putting it in storage. Bet we will not hear anymore about the situation. Thanks for your response. Always good to look at the hidden words that have not been stated, but are questionable.

tal160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
no this mac is mine and yes i was overseas for almost 1 and a half years thats why my mac was resting at this time.
i will try to re setting the pram like richardi told me to,,
thanks for the help i will let you know if it do any good

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Bring up activity monitor/all processes and put it in a place where it's never covered by another window - then look to see what is taking up cpu cycles. I used this to diagnose a problem with a 2010 MBP.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Bring up activity monitor/all processes and put it in a place where it's never covered by another window - then look to see what is taking up cpu cycles. I used this to diagnose a problem with a 2010 MBP.

I put the activity monitor in the dock.......that way I can locate/load it in case of a failing system. for as I understand it, things can occur that restrict that programs availability to load.

However being a new user of the Apple system I would not know what I could do with the activity monitor if I needed it. Just a learner, and there are so many things to become acquainted with coming from an old PC's knowledge.

tal160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
please can you tell me like in easy steps what should i do first ? cause i barely understand whats your all saying..thanks

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I put the activity monitor in the dock.......that way I can locate/load it in case of a failing system. for as I understand it, things can occur that restrict that programs availability to load.

However being a new user of the Apple system I would not know what I could do with the activity monitor if I needed it. Just a learner, and there are so many things to become acquainted with coming from an old PC's knowledge.

putting activity monitor in the dock isn't much help in a stuck system - you need it on the screen, with all processes sorted by CPU use - then you can see what is using all the cpu time.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
putting activity monitor in the dock isn't much help in a stuck system - you need it on the screen, with all processes sorted by CPU use - then you can see what is using all the cpu time.

OK......I have now added one to the Dock.......but don't really understand what it shows and does. Seems to be lots of options of showing the info in the activity monitor.........suppose it can tell certain things about what is wrong when trouble shows up. But how to fix things would be a whole new thing for me.....would have to ask and ask on the forum for help. Hoping it does not happen to me, until I know much more about reinstalling software.
Thanks...........

tal160

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
blueroom i tried that for about a hundred times believe me reinstall its not the solution.. but thanks

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
OK......I have now added one to the Dock.......but don't really understand what it shows and does. Seems to be lots of options of showing the info in the activity monitor.........suppose it can tell certain things about what is wrong when trouble shows up. But how to fix things would be a whole new thing for me.....would have to ask and ask on the forum for help. Hoping it does not happen to me, until I know much more about reinstalling software.
Thanks...........

Adding activity monitor to the dock is NOT going to help you - when you have a problem you will not be able to launch the program anyway sinxe the system is hung. You want activity monitor to show all processes sorted by CPU usage and you want the activity monitor showing at all times, not covered by another window. Once it hangs up, you look at the activity monitor and see what processes are using up cpu time then you can post the names here and go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.