iMac Ghosting

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alphav, Feb 16, 2015.

1. alphav macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have purchased an (3000€) Apple iMac 27” 3,5 GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and 4GB VRAM GeForce GTX 780M (S.N.: DGKLN017F8JC) in December 2013 and I’m currently experiencing quite severe image retention problems. All white portions of the screen that remain still for 20 or more minutes remain as a blue shadow on grey(ish) colours.

As soon as the problem started appearing I took it, under warranty, to the official Apple Repair store (early December 2014) and they exchanged the screen. After picking it up, the problem remained and I took it to the store again. They were two weeks trying to find the problem and I had to go to the store myself to replicate the effect which was then confirmed by the technicians by naked eye.
I received a call a few days later telling me the problem was solved but, again, when I got to the office the screen was still experiencing the same problems.

Now Apple tells me that this is expected behaviour and therefor recuses to service my mac! I even sent a registered letter to Apple Distribution International and received a rude reply saying that this is expected behaviour.

I work everyday with image and the ghosting is easily seen and interferes with my work.
    Is it expected behaviour? Couldn't it be graphics card?

I have owned several macs and this is the first time this happens and, frankly, I'm quite disappointed with Apple Service on a machine under warranty.

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I don't know where you live but I notice you paid in Euros and yet imply there are no Apple Stores in your country.

You need to keep pushing them and start using consumer law. In my experience Apple (rightly) backs down when faced with such threats. The fact they effectively acknowledged it was a fault when they initially exchanged the screen will work in your favour. If you can't do that yourself then you will have to pay for legal representation, but I have managed on my own on two different occasions.

It's much more likely to be the monitor rather than GPU.