Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caboose :)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
So recently I installed windows 10 on my Imac 27" (late 2013). Installed through Bootcamp, everything was fine until I noticed screen ghosting I have seen other cases online before, my case seems a little different, I am getting ghosting on my screen but the strange part is i am only getting it in windows, now I have noticed a few things, the screen gets much hotter in Windows than in OSX. Any thoughts?

AndrewSalfinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2016
Australia
I've been getting screen ghosting on my late 2014 5k iMac, and was wondering if it's normal to be happing. I found this on the apple site so this way be the reason to why where having the issue; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202580

I'm not 100% sure if this is the reason for you and maybe someone else could help you out more. If not and you still have no answer you might want to try taking it to a Apple Store maybe.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
My issue with their recommendation is that i play games through bootcamp and the hud tends to be burned in, so having a screensaver doesn't really help my case.

AndrewSalfinger

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2016
Australia
I just remembered something with the 2010 model they had a image burn issue and did a recall maybe the 2013 model had the same issue.

I had a 2010 model and found out to late apple was recalling them and was un able to get it fix since it was out of warranty. This might be the issue. I've never had the issue of a games hub burn in while using the 2015 model.

Maybe you would hit up the Apple Store.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
I got it from a hand me down, is should ask who gave it to me if it has a warranty.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I've been getting screen ghosting on my late 2014 5k iMac, and was wondering if it's normal to be happing. I found this on the apple site so this way be the reason to why where having the issue; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202580

I'm not 100% sure if this is the reason for you and maybe someone else could help you out more. If not and you still have no answer you might want to try taking it to a Apple Store maybe.

I had an image percisitance issue with my 2014 Renina iMac. I went back and just started complaining bitterly until they finally replaced the screen under my apple care agreement.

They tried to pull that tech note on me. I took them to task as to how long is an acceptable time for the image to disappear. I had my screen set to turn off after 7 min. But a computer is also needed to be used. as the screen is large and resolution high, I don't run everything in full screen, but rather in windows.

I found it is caused when the unit gets hot, that the issue is far more prevalent. So the problem is that when you unplug the unit to take it to the store, it cools off and the problem goes away. So you have two options.

1. Plug your iMac into a power bar and not only turn off the computer at night time but turn off the power to the power bar so there is no power going to the mac. this will allow for cool down and the following morning you should get a good 5-6 hours issue free.

2. Plan on taking a good 1/2 day and take your iMac to the Apple Store and plug yourself in and start using the mac to heat it up. Then when it's good and hot, request your Apple Genius and demand that they come to your iMac and not unplug it and take it over to them. That way you can show to persistence issue and get them to fix it under warranty. (assuming you have apple care or warranty left)

I said, it I use my iMac for work for the day, and at night decide to watch a movie on Netflix, it will take a good 45-60 min for the persistence image to fade so you can't see it. That I consider to be a fault and totally outside of their tech notes. I have owned MANY IPS monitors and NONE have had this issue. Afte the screen got replaced, I have not had the problem. So it definitely is an issue with the screen and should be fixed.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have a 2010, 2013 and 2015 and I've not noticed any ghosting. I used to play many games on the 11 and 13, it's getting much less on the 15 with gaming as that part of my life is all but gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.