iMac GHz difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grod13, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Grod13 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I am considering buying an iMac to use for school but more so to run logic express. How much of a difference does the GHz of the iMac make (how much better is a 2.6GHz over a 2.4GHz? And also, does the amount of RAM make much of a difference? I know very little in this stuff so I need some expert advice.

2. trbeat macrumors member

There are some good sites that can tell you the difference between 2.4 to 2.6 speeds, www.barefeats.com/ is one. As far as memory goes, the more you have the better, esp when you run logic express as it will allow you to run more virtual instruments and plugins with less lag which will be important. If I had to choose between memory and the extra GHZ speed, I'd go with memory.

Hope this helps.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You will see a much greater performance increase with additional RAM than with additional processor speed. All of the iMac's cpus are quite speedy.

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have the previous generation iMac (the mid 2007 aluminium model) with the upgraded 2,8GHz Core 2 Extreme CPU. While I don't expect the 2,4GHz MacBook I ordered to be faster, I won't be surprised if it can keep up. With the new 1067MHz FSB, coupled with the new DDR3 RAM, it might be close in performance. The newer iMacs also have a 1067MHz FSB, but 'only' DDR2 RAM, which might be a bottleneck for the FSB. Might, as I'm not sure.

Order whichever machine you like. They're all extremely potent. The iMac is not portable, but does have a bigger screen and FireWire. The MacBook is portable and can be taken anywhere. It's your decision.