iMac: got a few questions before i make the switch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xopher, Mar 4, 2012.

1. xopher, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

xopher macrumors newbie

I am currently determined to switch over to Mac once intel releases their ivybridge processors, however, i have a few questions i want answered before i make this change.

I have been a long time follower of this website and i recall members praising the resale value of mac products in comparison to their competitors.

For my case, people were saying the 27inch imac models tend to have a higher resale value in compared to the smaller ones. Is this true? Because I recently started digital photography, I believe the iMac will be a valuable asset when it comes to post processing work thanks to the gorgeous Cinema display.

If I do intend of selling my future iMac, what kind of depreciation can i expect? and also where do people typically sell them? (online sites such as kijiji? craigslist?).

Lastly, if i ever need to use the 27 inch screen to display something from an external source, is this possible? (basically asking if i can use this as a monitor)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are asking about the resale value on a computer you haven't even bought yet, to me that sounds kind of silly. However look in Craigslist or Ebay to see what similar configurations are selling for in your area.

As for using the current iMac's as an external display, this is called Target Display Mode and will only work with other Thunderbolt computers. Currently the ONLY machines that have Thunderbolt are

MacBook Air
    MacBook Pro
    Mac Mini
    iMac

You can learn more about this in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

3. NDSMASTER8 macrumors newbie

While Apple products do retain their value better than devices made by other manufacturers, technology naturally depreciates very quickly. The idea with desktop computers, and really computers in general, is that you get something that you'll be satisfied with for several years, with the understanding that the system will be only worth 40% to 60% of what you paid for it three or four years ago when it's time to upgrade.

As far as using your iMac as a monitor, rkaufmann87 is spot on in his statements about this being exclusive to other thunderbolt systems.