iMac GPU vs. MBP GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoxKok, Aug 7, 2007.

1. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

So now that the new iMacs have been released, I'm curious to see how the GeForce 8600 GT stacks up to the ATi 2600 Pro. What are your opinions? :D

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well they've done comparisons to the 2600 with similar nVidia cards and although these are not the mobility versions of the 8600, I would fathom to guess that the 8600's are a lot better than the ATI 2600 Pro.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/465/5

3. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

Desktop 8600GT is indeed better than the ATI HD2600, I'll be honest and say that I was dissapointed with the GPU Choice.The ATI HD2900 is indeed better than 8600M GT (GPU in MBP) .

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this is like a backwards step from apple....

i dont kno how they could have this great computer, and then go backwards in graphics capabilities.
    professional movie editors wont like this. i dont like it!!!

5. kolax macrumors G3

I'd hope the ATI HD2600+ would be better than the MBP's mobile card, otherwise it truely would be a step back.

But in saying that, I think the ATI HD2600 is sufficient enough to meet the requirements - the iMac isn't designed for professional use, it is designed for home use.

If you are a pro, get the Mac Pro.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Not sure any of the professional editors I know would be particularly put out by this - an iMac is hardly going to be their preferred weapon of choice.

In any case, editing footage is a CPU intensive activity really, so I'm not sure this is the best example to cite.

This is fine for a consumer for a consumer machine.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, they wont even look at it. probably wont even touch it.

it is fairly powerful now tho, its really good. im happy with the design, the look, the GPU, the hardddrive space, the curve at the back,

the black...eh i donno, ill get used to it.

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Glad it's not just me thinking that about the black!

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i didnt like the black at first, but im starting to take a liking towards it. its, intriguing.

10. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

I dunno... its not much of an improvement over the 7600gt at all. I'm a bit disappointed with apples poor gpu choice. I wouldn't mind if it was user-upgradable, but when its not I want the best I can get.