iMac GPU vs. MBP GPU

GoxKok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
So now that the new iMacs have been released, I'm curious to see how the GeForce 8600 GT stacks up to the ATi 2600 Pro. What are your opinions? :D

Mac.Jnr

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
Desktop 8600GT is indeed better than the ATI HD2600, I'll be honest and say that I was dissapointed with the GPU Choice.The ATI HD2900 is indeed better than 8600M GT (GPU in MBP) .

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
this is like a backwards step from apple....

i dont kno how they could have this great computer, and then go backwards in graphics capabilities.
professional movie editors wont like this. i dont like it!!!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd hope the ATI HD2600+ would be better than the MBP's mobile card, otherwise it truely would be a step back.

But in saying that, I think the ATI HD2600 is sufficient enough to meet the requirements - the iMac isn't designed for professional use, it is designed for home use.

If you are a pro, get the Mac Pro.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
professional movie editors wont like this.
Not sure any of the professional editors I know would be particularly put out by this - an iMac is hardly going to be their preferred weapon of choice.

In any case, editing footage is a CPU intensive activity really, so I'm not sure this is the best example to cite.

This is fine for a consumer for a consumer machine.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Not sure any of the professional editors I know would be particularly put out by this - an iMac is hardly going to be their preferred weapon of choice.

In any case, editing footage is a CPU intensive activity really, so I'm not sure this is the best example to cite.

This is fine for a consumer for a consumer machine.
true, they wont even look at it. probably wont even touch it.

it is fairly powerful now tho, its really good. im happy with the design, the look, the GPU, the hardddrive space, the curve at the back,

the black...eh i donno, ill get used to it.