Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Oh my.

That does not look good.

But . . . this is only when you Restart, not a cold boot? Curious.

Does it happen every time or only occasionally? Only Restart or Start up from Off state?

These are some questions that I would imagine Apple will ask.

I would initiate a ticket with AppleCare support, include the video for their consumption. I would guess "faulty" GPU section diagnosis and unit replacement is in your future.

Sorry. :(

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Don't have Apple Care, this is a late 2010 iMac and I didn't purchase any besides the first free year. :(

I tried a cold boot just now and it happend then as well, when I restarted in Windows it didn't occur though, weird.

Might a OS-reinstall help with anything? As I said, the computer works fine apart from this, no weird graphics or anything so I might just have to live with it :/

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
Don't have Apple Care, this is a late 2010 iMac and I didn't purchase any besides the first free year. :(

I tried a cold boot just now and it happend then as well, when I restarted in Windows it didn't occur though, weird.

Might a OS-reinstall help with anything? As I said, the computer works fine apart from this, no weird graphics or anything so I might just have to live with it :/

Oh, it is not new. /$h!+burgers

Uh, yeah, I was tempted to mention that diagnosis might very well include Apple wanting to reinstall the OS.

Yeah, if you've all your data and software dusks in a row, you could try that and see if it provides resolution joy.

Good luck! :)

/in honor of Ray Lewis being in another Superbowl, I'll take a stab at the culprit being a bad IC board that is in the early stages of failure.

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
I reset the PRAM and it worked! No more glitching :D Thanks so much for your advice guys!

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
I reset the PRAM and it worked! No more glitching :D Thanks so much for your advice guys!

Very cool indeed!! :D

----------

While I realize that this question derails the thread . . . .

I'm new to Mac, what exactly is SMC/PRAM?

It sounds as though SMC is analogous to the BIOS on a PC?

. . . . and PRAM is analogous to the CMOS on a PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.