iMac graphics card broken, what to do with spare parts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G5Unit, Dec 13, 2009.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

My mother's iMac G5 just had its graphics card fry, and now the only thing the screen shows is this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=831614

But everything else in the iMac works fine, as I was able to recover all her files through Firewire disk-mode.

My question is that is there anything to do with the spare parts in the iMac now? The screen works, the HDD is fine, it has a stick of 2gb of RAM, a working super drive; pretty much everything except the graphics card.

Are there any cool DIY project to turn these parts into anything useful?

Thanks in advance!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeah I did, unfortunately it showed the exact same issue, prompting that it wasn't the screen, but rather the graphics card.

I told my parents that it would cost upwards of 700 dollars to fix and that the card probably fried because she kept the computer on 24/7. So they went to the Apple store today and the Genius at the bar said that it would cost about $1100 to fix/:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Enable ssh and Remote Desktop/VNC. You could go as far as to disconnect the display entirely. It'd be a headless machine after that.

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeah that's a really good idea, and I tried that for a while, but I could never get screen sharing to work as I need to authorize it on the iMac, which I am unable to control:(

Is there another way to it?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Using Target Disk Mode boot another Mac using the iMac's hard drive and enable those sharing features. :p

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd sell the parts on eBay. The display alone should fetch a few hundred dollars, assuming that it is indeed intact. (Pro tip: don't sell it as-is, just accept a return if it turns out to have problems.)