iMac graphics card service/replacement and warranty question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Production675, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Production675 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a warranty and hardware question.

My graphics card in my early 2008 24" iMac has just been replaced by a firm (not Apple).

After it was replaced, I didn't receive any paperwork regarding the graphics card, so I asked how much warranty comes with the card and was told that all Apple service parts come with 90 days warranty. I thought this was very onerous seeing as the card replaced cost me £200 (not including service).

I checked my system profile to see what card is on my iMac and it says an NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800. When I check the Nvidia website, it says their products come with 3 years warranty. When I told the service company they said that it is that graphucs card but from Apple and Apple branded so it only comes with 90 days warranty. Is this true?

My concern is that my card has been replaced with a third party OEM version hence the limited warranty.

Hoping someone can help.

All the best
    Daniel

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its true if they said it is. I'm not trying to sound coy but the company that did the work and will support the work stated how long their warranty will last.

It does seem a bit short FWIW

3. Bear macrumors G3

90 days is Apples standard warranty for repairs that you've paid for. And it is an Apple branded card so Nvidia's warranty doesn't cover it.