iMac Graphics

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drir1990, Dec 18, 2008.

1. drir1990 macrumors member

I have been having issues with my iMac's graphics. It randomly messes up. I don't know what is wrong. I have taken two screenshots of the problems. Sometimes the random colors take up the whole screen.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

your video card is not working as it should. Do you have applecare plan left? (warranty). if you do just call and they will pick it up and fix it, but if you dont it will cost ya

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My dad's iMac is having the same corruptions. I believe his fans are getting clogged because the GPU hits 50 deg C just idling. But worst case, it seems that the video card is beginning to fail.

4. mastershakess macrumors 6502

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

We don't know if we do anymore or not.. I remember purchasing the iMac after Thanksgiving (Black Friday, purchased online) so I have to look that up.

6. durija macrumors 6502

7. Joe888 macrumors member

Joe888

iMac's come with a one year limited warrenty dont they?

8. jf8 macrumors regular

I wouldn't be so quick to attribute this to a hardware problem if the system has a Radeon HD2000-series GPU. I've triggered this corruption (as well as other GPU driver failures including kernel panics) by running certain applications. I also experienced graphics issues in OS X 10.4 as well that went away after installing OS X 10.5.

Are you running 10.5.6? It includes these graphics fixes:
    • Includes general improvements to gaming performance.
    • Includes graphics improvements for iChat, Cover Flow, Aperture, and iTunes.
    • Includes fixes for possible graphics distortion issues with certain ATI graphics cards.

Previous OS X 10.5 patches have included significant graphics-related fixes and improvements, including some specifically for ATI GPUs. In other words, the drivers weren't very good to begin with.

9. drir1990 thread starter macrumors member

My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD2400. It would be great if this wasn't hardware related. The nearest Apple store is a 5 hour drive from my house.

10. drir1990 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way for me to check the hardware myself to see if it is a harware or software issue?