iMac grey screen crisis, have I killed the hard drive help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robbie196, Oct 17, 2014.

1. robbie196 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :)

I'm sorry my first post starts with a help request! I've worked with Macs for over 20 years and to be fair this is the first time I've needed help. I have a 2009 Intel Imac aluminium and this is the nightmare so far…

I got home and powered up my mac last night, at the same time I tilted the screen slightly which tugged the power lead and cut off the power. The mac was about 1 or 2 seconds into powering up.

I restarted and it got as far as the grey screen with the apple logo and spinning grey wheel. I left it for about 20mins but this is as far as it would boot :(

Next I tried a PRAM reset which made no difference. Then I tried a safe boot. This gets as far as the grey bar coming on screen but the bar doesn't progress and the mac shuts down after about 4/5 mins.

Next I booted up from the disk utility CD. I tried a verify which wouldn't complete and said the drive needed to be repaired. I tried repair and that wouldn't complete either and said the drive needs to be restored.

Next I tried the Hardware check CD which checked everything through as ok, but I believe the hardware check doesn't actually include the operation of the hard drive?

This has created another problem in that I can't eject the Hardware CD with my wireless keyboard.

Next problem, I have no back up of my drive! This is Apple's fault for normally being so reliable :)

Fortunately, I have an Imac at work, so today I've created an external boot drive from my system install CD. Hopefully, this should let me boot up the mac, eject the CD and see the internal drive to copy some files. I'm guessing if I don't see the internal hard drive then its dead and gone?

I've read a few posts on various forums but I want to check that I am going through the right procedures and doing the right things? Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated :)

Thanks Rob

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It sounds like when the power was cut, the disk was in a write operation and that caused some bad sectors which is preventing the drive from booting.

Do you have access to a Windows PC and are comfortable opening up the iMac?

I sure hope you're joking here. Backups should always be done, regardless of perceived reliability of any company's products.

3. robbie196 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have a windows PC and unfortunately, I wasn't joking about the back up. The only good thing is at the moment I can't think of anything too major that can't be recreated. If the drive can be saved though that would obviously be a big bonus!

I've read there is better software than the disk utility for checking drives, would something like that be worth giving ago?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, it's disappointing that you weren't joking about blaming Apple for you not having a backup - it's not their responsibility to protect our files, its ours.

I asked about a Windows PC because you can take the HDD out of the iMac, stick it in a PC and run Spinrite on it and repair any bad sectors. GRC has been working on a Mac version of Spinrite, but it's not yet available.

I'm not sure what other software is out there to repair disks on OS X, but I'm sure they exist.

5. robbie196 thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely not Apple to blame, this one is all my fault!

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Take a look at this article and probably Disk Warrior 4. It may be able to help you fix the disk. Though I have zero experience with it, so I cannot vouch for it.