imac grey screen on start up and nothing else !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sabrina2000, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Sabrina2000 macrumors member

I have an old G4 powermac / imac (bought second hand/no disks ) osx:
    powermac 6,1
    powerpc G4 (3.3)
    processor 1 GHz
    memory 1.5 GB DDR SD RAM
    cpu's 1
    version 4
    Boot rom
    version 4.5.9f1

all of a sudden since yesterday when we swithc on we get a blank grey screen and nothing else ! Tried re-setting PRM ( hope that's right) + tried holding down shift key on start up, but nothing ! It was working fine, this is out of the blue, no new software installed or anything.

Not computer savy , so would appreciate any advice in idiot proof style language.

Have got a boxed version of osx 120.4 bought new ( on e bay) and happy to instal that if it will reoslve this issue. Nothing vital we need to save on this comp - it is used purely for internet surfing.

Thank you.

2. Sabrina2000, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

Hi there

it's the grey screen on start up - can't seem to figure out if the cable might unplug from behind the unit as it looks pretty fixed into place......should the cable unplug ? When you switch on, it makes all the right noises, but the screen remains grey / nothing visible. Tried holding shift key. iCan't observe any safe mode or anything like that either.

I do have an older OS on disc which I bought on e bay - wondering if I can use that ? the imac came with 10.5.8 installed but no disk, and I bought (boxed) osx 10.4 - can I use that to start up, and if so how?thanks

3. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

ps - managed to unplug power cord! But that hasn't resolved the issue....

4. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

okay, well I'm going to take a chance and try to install an older OS on this as I don't have the original disk that came with it......unless there are any other suggestions .....thanks

5. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

have put the tiger disk in, but can't see anything on screen! it remains all blank/grey.....help pleeeeeez!!