iMac hanging on Office 2001 startup, rhythmic clicking sound coming from back

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spike Spiegel, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

This post probably covers a few topics, but I figured the hardware issue is the most worrying. I upgraded my mother's intel iMac from 10.4 to 10.6.8 with no difficulties, but when I tried to launch Entourage 2001, it prompted me to install Rosetta since it's a PPC program, I imagine. This worked, and Entourage opened, until the next time she tried it, when it hung on the splash screen. As it hung there, there was a rhythmic pair of clicks that sounded every ten seconds or so coming from the back of the machine. I force quit it, then restarted, and heard the clicks again at startup, but it booted fine, and I haven't heard them at startup since. My question is, am I able to either do something that would enable me to open Entourage again, or alternatively recover her contacts and email through a new version of Office? I have a copy of Office 2008 I can install on her machine.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. hideous cheese macrumors regular

That kind of clicking is often associated with a failing hard drive. Back everything up and be ready to get a new HDD

3. Spike Spiegel thread starter macrumors regular

When I boot from the system disk and check the disk in Disk Utility, it finds no problems. Is there any way I could install Office 2008 and preserve the User Data File from the old version of Entourage?