iMac hard disk upgrade? Should i?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by user1690, Jun 19, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys,

Had my iMac for a few days now and im already running low on space, so i was thinking on a hard disk upgrade, and i cant seem to find a good set of instructions on howto replace the drive.

So im going to list what would be put on the drive, so maybe you could help me decide to upgrade the internal drive, or simply get external.

1.) Games (Mostly steam games, as they seem to take up quite a bit of space. But i fear if steam were on an external drive, that i would have performance issues.)
    2.) Documents/etc.
    3.) Music, gotta love my music.
    4.) Some movies.

In conclusion im basically asking, should i upgrade internal drive, or get external? If im going to upgrade the internal drive, could anyone provide some instructions on how to do so?

iMac details:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB

OS's running: Snow Leopard , Windows XP (Mostly for making maps for some steam games)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. Shame the games cant really be stored on an external HDD. Thanks for the link as well I'll use it when i order a 500GB or 1TB :D

4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

id go 1TB..you will fill a 500gb before you know it. when it comes to hard drive space i look at it as better safe than sorry, some people go with external hard drives also though. I have 1TB internal, and roughly about 3TB external

5. lavino macrumors member

For any store except games installation I would suggest you get a NAS.

1) It's a RAID... one HDD failed you still can get a backup but swapping drives.
    2) some are easily scalable
    3) 1TB upgrade internal compare to like 4 or 5 3TB raid (a total of 6 to 9TB).
    4) Speed is not a concern. I stream x264 720p/1080p stuff from the NAS and don't notice any slow down.
    5) even for games.. you can always move the whole folder off to the NAS for archive. If you have to play it .. just move it back to you mac.

6. IeU macrumors member

I have also a question about the 1TB-SATA-II-Harddrive that came with my IMac27-Mid2011.

If i get it replaced by a 2TB-SATA-III-Harddrive, will i see big improvements? How big?

Thanks!

7. IeU macrumors member

8. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

I'd say it depends on the buffer of the HDD (or, the Cache), for example a 16MB cache will be slower than a HDD that had a 32MB cache. The higher the Cache, and the RPM, the faster read times and file transfers will be. Along with the huge space gain (i mean, sheesh, 2TB? Thats alot.)

Someone correct me if im wrong tho ;)

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Nothing you would see on a day to day basis.

SATA 2 is 300 MN/ps. On a really good day a single platter based HD might get 90 MB/ps. So hooking a drive that *might* get 90 MB/ps to a SATA III connection that can go up to 600 MB/ps will make zero difference.

And thats provided you can plan on tearing the whole thing apart.

Research wouldnt hurt.