Imac hard drive failing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mdoyle, Jun 17, 2012.

1. mdoyle macrumors member

Hi there, I woke up yesterday morning to a unpleasent surprise. My imac late 09 27 inch i5 has a failing hard drive. I immediatley performed a time capsule back up to save my data and contacted Apple Uk customer support to find out the damage. Aswell as my nearest Apple retailer.
    How frustrated was i to find they couldn't quote me a price over the phone for parts and labour on their product which i'd imagine they perform such repair jobs on all the time.
    I wanted to know how much it was going to cost me to have it replaced, only to be told that i need to bring it in for them to look at it. WTF, as i mentioned earlier parts and labour :(

So my question to the Guru's out there or people who have sadly had the same issue with a failing hard drive.
    Would you know how much Apple Uk charge to replace a 1tb Sata hard drive.

Many Thanks for any info you can give me

2. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

The store has to quote it, because they have to run your iMac's serial, and check if they have the part in stock. They also have to find out how much the part is, plus any tax/VAT.

I just had the 1TB drive in my 2011 iMac replaced, and it was free, as I have AppleCare. The invoice said it was a $265.14 USD repair, which comes to around £168.92.

Hope that helps you.

3. hideous cheese macrumors regular

You might consider buying an internal drive yourself and then taking the iMac to a repair place for installation (if you dont want to tackle iMac dismantling). That may save you a little money.

4. Gloops macrumors member

It cost me just over £200

The actual 1TB drive (Seagate Barracuda) was £129. So you may prefer to source your own, rather than pay the Apple markup.

5. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info guys I wanted to know apples charges and then make the decision on whether to try it myself. Taking it apart might be easy but i'll prob end up with a few spare pieces when putting it back together again lol

6. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Although it's not quite as simple as opening a windoz beige box, the iMac isn't that difficult to get inside and add or replace storage components.

There are some really great guides on the internet (iFixit, OWC, etc.) and if you've ever tinkered inside a PC should be fine with an iMac

7. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

I finally managed to get a quote from my local apple reseller stormfront. £170 for a like for like replacement or £235 to upgrade to a 2tb drive
    That's not too bad as I priced some hard drives between £70 and £129 for a terabyte

Thanks again for the replies. I'll get them to give it a clean as well as there appears to be a bit of condensation behind the glass only viewable on a white back ground

8. MrJUggles macrumors newbie

Mine has failed too. I'm going to try and change the hard drive myself as I reckon I could do it. I'm just waiting for the boot disks to come through and I'm going to order a 2tb HD this time.

I haven't backed everything up but I'm hoping once the drive is out I'll be able to get the information off it. It's a big pain in the butt but all I really want is the pictures, everything else can go poop.

Good luck with yours