imac hard drive fried?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paisios, Jul 24, 2008.

1. paisios macrumors member

Hi,

My imacG5 2.0ghz hrd drive can't be found. I just got my new MBP yesterday (thank god!) and after performing a erase and install yesterday, I'm getting the ol' blinking folder w/ ? .

I've got applecare. I have installed ram myself. Should I take out and put back the original 512mb before taking it in? Pretty sure I still have it.

Can I just take it to apple store?

I've also been experiencing random bright green pixels flashing around on my monitor. Specifically, in darker areas of desktop wallpaper.

The imac has (or had) a clean install straight from the original disc. Nothing else was done. I go to it this morning and it's stuck in sleep mode and making noise. Once I rebooted manually, I got the flashing folder icon. Then I restarted w/ install disc and it can't find a destination drive to perform the install.

D'OH!!!!

THanks,
    paisios

BTW....new MBP is SUHWEEEEEET!

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

If you're still under warranty you should probably just take it in to Apple. Might as well put the old ram back in too or at least have it with you.

3. paisios thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks. I've made an appointment for tomorrow w/ apple store genius bar.

I was concerned that they would void my warranty if they found that I had installed 2gb of ram myself as opposed to using certified apple tech.

Probably better safe than sorry and just go ahead and put old ram back in. Ya think?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Ram is user serviceable on the iMac. You do not void your warranty by upgrading your ram.

5. paisios thread starter macrumors member

awesome that is good to know. I guess that makes sense since it was so easy. I guess the stuff I read was in regards to laptop ram?

big thanks - saved me some time!!!

paisios

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Only the macbook air ram isn't user serviceable. Hard drives are usually user serviceable but it varies (again, not in the macbook air...the air isn't really user serviceable at all).

7. paisios thread starter macrumors member

ok, not to be a pain....but I want to be sure I understand correctly.

Macbook air is the only non user serviceable machine?

I've read on here that you should replace any ram or hard drives you've installed yourself with the original included in your apple purchase. Stories of people getting shafted are not accurate?

Again thanks for the advice. I like to hear that I can do these things without running into warranty issues. And not having to remove these things upon taking it in for service is they way it should be.

I'm just concerned by what I've heard others say on the boards that you should not let apple know you've installed ram or hdd yourself. Said they might void your warranty if you don't have a certified tech perform these fairly simple tasks for you.

THanks!

paisios

8. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

It could be the hard drive. My iMac had the same issue, and I replaced the hard disk. It was very easy.

However, you can try resetting the PRAM before taking it in.

Are you still under Apple Care? If not, you could be looking at an outrageous bill for a job that you can probably do on your own.

9. paisios thread starter macrumors member

I'm covered under applecare. The hard drive is making some funky noises, and the old blinking folder w/ question mark is coming up and shows no hard drive when install disk in used for start up. So, yeah...it's the hard drive as best I can tell.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for service. I'm just wondering if I should take out the ram I installed myself and replace with stock 512 ram that came with the machine.

And upon hearing what NAG had to say, I'm wanting to make sure that I can replace ram and hard drive in my new MBP without running into warranty issues by not having an apple tech do it for me.

I plan on getting more ram for this MBP as well as looking at a larger hard drive in the future.

10. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

Is your iMac the G5 with the iSight? Because then the hard drive is not user serviceable.