iMac Hardware Failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by enyfeo, Mar 1, 2013.

1. enyfeo macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Back after Christmas my iMac )(May 2011) 27" 2TB 32GB RAM (CRUCIAL) 2GB ATI 3.4GHZ i7) crashed which was unusual as it was the first time ever.

The mac would crash when running anything graphically intensive and after so many crashes it even started crashing on the screen saver....
    After several weeks (and I mean weeks) I got the machine back.
    They first said nothing wrong, then replaced the screen, the logic board, the graphics card and the hard drive (with the wrong size) so had to go back again.

Ive had the mac back for just over a month now and the Graphics glitches have returned when running anything graphically intensive whether on windows or on mac.

What I would like to know is do I have any rights to return the product and say keep it as I'm now mightily peeved with the whole thing.
    For some background it took them 20 odd days to get my iMac fixed last time, refusing anything wrong with it down to replacing the hard drive (unnecessarily). The hard drive they replaced it with then failed and when they replaced that they put in one half the size and I had to get it replaced again.
    All the work was done through Apple store in Basingstoke UK. I don't have any desire to go back there again but its the closest and most convenient store. Especially if I am just going to go through all this again.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. enyfeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple tested the ram the last time and said it was fine. It has been in the system since new.

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

As blueroom mentioned, a bad stick of RAM can cause those original symptoms. However, that's usually the first thing they would check when you brought it in. They usually insist on original Apple RAM before doing anything else. Do you, per chance, have AppleCare?

5. enyfeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yeah I do have apple care. But how many times does this have to happen before they finally give up with this machine. Its had about £2200 in parts according to their receipts which does not include any labour costs.

Could this be down to a Power supply board? Ive never been inside on of these things so im not sure whats inside.

Ive got the original ram in now and its still crashing...

Eny

6. soomster macrumors regular

soomster

7. enyfeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive got the stock ram in and its still crashing

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Reinstall OSX and restore via Time Machine.

Best to make a USB bootable OSX installer.

9. macthefork macrumors 6502

The reason I asked about Applecare is because after replacing almost the entire machine with parts, and still not fixing it, they may be getting to the point where they'll just offer another new iMac. Call Applecare... (not the Applestore) and discuss with them what's gone on so far, and be sure to tell them you're not too happy with the iMac at this point since they've pretty much replaced almost all the working parts. Don't get angry with them, be nice... See what the next step is...

10. Raima macrumors 6502

Apple got me to do a command + D while boot up to do a ram test on my machine. It took 12+ hrs to perform on 32gb. When Apple say they have done a ram test, I can assure u they have the capability of doing so.

I would not recommend restoring from TM as it may restore a config that may be causing the issue. Manual restore your itunes, iPhoto and what ever else is my recommendation.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I'd do a new install of the OS and manually transfer your files over...any corrupt or bad data could cause the problem to continue.
    best to do with a clean slate.
    have you tried isolating the RAM?

It almost sounds like it could be a data cable too...if the machine is just freezing/crashing especially during screen saver. hm. if they havent swapped out the power supply yet...it may be in your interest to ring up AppleCare and discuss alternative options, not to sound entitled or anything but thats a lot of repairs for not resolving the issue.

try a clean install first and go from there