Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Yes, new 27 iMac maxed out pretty much has stopped outputting sound either through internal speakers or with a headphone plugged in.

This happened out of nowhere, noticed no chime turning the machine on.. doubled check everything.. tried resetting the SMC I think is called and the VRAM clean up and nothing.. I can't play music through iTunes to watch videos, no sound at all.

I can change the volume up and down but no sound at all will come out.

now, if I connect my computer through a thunderbolt cable to HDMI to the TV then I can send the sound to the TV and it will play, weird.

I will call Apple tonight after work, anything I should try before? What could it be the issue?

Anyone?

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Are the internal speakers/headphones selected as the output source in System Preferences?

Yes, however when I plug in the headphone nothing changed there.. the internal speaker stays there

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Yes, however when I plug in the headphone nothing changed there.. the internal speaker stays there
Have you tried the 'Audio MIDI Setup' in your Utilities folder? My iMac had somewhat similar vanishing audio symptoms a while back and selecting the audio output and fiddling with the 'Configure Speakers...' a few times seemed to cure it.
I'm no expert and don't want to lead you astray but it might be worth exploring!

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
This can depend on whether you install the system while using the headphone port.
I suggest that you may want to do a TM backup, then do a clean install off a USB disk.
(Wipe, then fresh install while booted in USB installer.)

If that doesn't work for you, make sure you have Applecare and get it repaired for free.

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
Don't know if this will work but you could always try a p-ram reset. Turn the computer off and hit the power button and hold down command>Option>p>r.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the responses.. I talked to Apple over the phone we went over a few things and nothing, he asked me to take to the store..

The Audio Midi Setup I played with it but all seems ok there
The PRAM reset I did several times.
Fresh Install I'm not sure it will fix anything.. I'm saying this because not even the chime when I turn the machine on will sound..

I think its a hardware problem, unfortunately.

I have the computer for less than 1 year so I'm covered and now I will deff buy the apple care before the 1 year expires..

I have an appointment with Apple Genius bar for Tuesday, will be taking this gigantic machine to the mall..

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Apple called me today about my iMac.

They replaced the speakers and it didn't fix, they replaced the logic board and now the computer will not power on so now they ordered a new power supply to replace that as well.

I'm worried having a computer totally modified like that, should I?

NewtonPippin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015

They replaced the speakers and it didn't fix, they replaced the logic board and now the computer will not power on so now they ordered a new power supply to replace that as well.

Yes. I would worry too. They should give you a new machine, that's absurd to basically be replacing the most core components... seemingly aimlessly.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand

Having worked at a third party apple retailer before, no it is fairly common practice for applecare repair jobs to be extremely thorough.
I once had a customer who had his Macbook Pro HDD and Airport replaced with the same model HDD and Airport for the same cost to Apple as a brand new 15" Macbook Pro.

I would suggest that Apple will replace those faulty parts with the exact same model's parts until they get it working as it was when you bought it. No need to worry at all.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
if after messing with your imac, if you will have another big or small problem sue them if they are not replacing your imac

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

I'm not sure you should be worried. After all, a computer is just a collection of components that someone put together. All that's happening here is that someone is replacing components. They're not introducing new functionality, they're just replacing like for like.

As for the people doing the work, it does seem like an unfortunate series of events - new speakers followed by new logic board, that somehow screwed the power supply

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Yes, new 27 iMac maxed out pretty much has stopped outputting sound either through internal speakers or with a headphone plugged in.

This happened out of nowhere, noticed no chime turning the machine on.. doubled check everything.. tried resetting the SMC I think is called and the VRAM clean up and nothing.. I can't play music through iTunes to watch videos, no sound at all.

I can change the volume up and down but no sound at all will come out.

now, if I connect my computer through a thunderbolt cable to HDMI to the TV then I can send the sound to the TV and it will play, weird.

I will call Apple tonight after work, anything I should try before? What could it be the issue?

Anyone?

Do you have access to Bluetooth headphones/speakers? If so, and they work, then your problem is most likely a stuck headphone jack (I had the same problem, though on a Mini).

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Update..

Got my iMac back..

They changed the speakers, the logic board and the power supply and today while working the computer restarted on its own 3 times.. I called apple and they asked me to take back to the store..

This is soon frustrating, Should I ask Apple to give a brand new one? This is custom build, can someone please give some good advise on how to proceed??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.