iMac Having problems with wireless. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zedsdead185, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I've had a problem with my wireless internet for quite a while and i thought it was about time i try and iron it out for good.
    I've only got a cheap wireless router (£39.99 D-link b/g from argos). It works fine when its just my iMac using the wireless, even when another computer is connected by ethernet. But as soon as my brothers windows pc is on and using wireless, it completely steals all of the wireless signal. I can understand two computers on wireless slowing it down a bit, but the pc seems to be fine whereas it is near impossible to use the internet on my mac. Sometimes i can even lose the signal and not get it back until the pc is off.
    The only thing i can think of is that both the pc and mac are upstairs, my mac on the otherside of the house and the pc directly over the router.
    Is there anyway i can limit how much wirelessness (If there is such a term :p) the pc takes up, or some way of splitting it? Any help would be greatful cos its a nightmare at the mo. thanks:)

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

When your brother's PC is active, does it just monopolize bandwidth, or does the SIGNAL literally go away? When it is happening, what signal strength is displayed in Internet Connect?

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

what kind of imac do u have??? the first one??? all imacs have the wireless router built in!!!!!

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

When its happening I'm still connected, but internet connect only has 1 bar out of the 15. My istat widget also says that I'm not getting any incoming signal from the router, and this is when safari is trying to load a page as simple as google. Its only kicking me off the network if i try and use several internet reliant programs at once.From what i gather, i stay connected to the router, but don't pass any data (or only the minimal amount needed to stay connected)

I have the White 20" intel C2D iMac. I think your getting mixed up with the airport card. the wireless router is the box that connects to the broadband modem to spread the wireless signal to the computers in the network. :)

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

oh yes!! lol, i forgot