Imac hd hook up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2011myzen, Sep 9, 2013.

1. 2011myzen macrumors newbie

I had a 24" Imac mid 2009, it got damaged in Hurricane Sandy. I retrieved the hard drive, and took it out of the main body. I purchased a Macbook Pro in Nov. 2012, and would like to get the data off the drive. A PC tech said he can see the data but could not retrieve it; I took it to my Apple store which is very difficult to get to, and they are not very cooperative. I cannot leave my Macbook overnight, so they would not try and retrieve the data. Can anyone instruct me how to hook the hd up to my Macbbook Pro? As I said the drive is not longer in the IMac. My Apple store in in Atlantic City NJ, it is mobbed, and difficult to get to, also the the manager and techs are rude.

Thanks, I really need to retrieve some of my files.

2. simsaladimbamba

Get a USB 3.0 enclosure for 3.5" HDDs like the ones shown here (go with the best reviews or ratings) and put the HDD inside that enclosure and connect the enclosure to power and your Mac and see, if you can access the data on your iMac's HDD.

Report back with your findings or problems, but do not format the HDD in any way or write to it.

3. 2011myzen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but it is only beneficial if you have several S-ATA HDDs you often switch around. An enclosure offers better protection from dust at least and better portability.

5. Raima macrumors 6502

Sometimes data retrieval processes can go pear shape when you apply fixes to damaged drives. For this reason, I generally clone the drive first, then work off the clone on recovering the data.

Once the drive is cloned, obtain a USB3.0 enclosure like the others have suggested and look at recovering the files.