iMac HD replacement + recovery!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shelbyleigh, Jun 10, 2009.

1. shelbyleigh macrumors newbie

I took my iMac into the Apple store last week because it stopped starting up. Turns out the hard drive failed, so they recommended Drive Savers to recover the data on the hard drive. Drive Saver quoted me up to $2500 to recover, but said I may be looking at about $1500. Which is what I already assumed!

I take my iMac back to the Apple store today to get the hard drive replaced and get the old one out to send off. I did not know then that it would be 2-5 business days to get it replaced, so they gave me a name of a local place that might be able to do it quicker and cheaper.

So I called this local place recommended by the Apple store, and they said they can replace my hard drive and upgrade it for less then Apple was going to charge me (with a third party hard drive). They also do recovery there, their recovery is just $100 to look at the drive, and if they can recover, its an additional $300 or $400 (can't remember, either way it was A LOT cheaper then Drive Savers). If they can't recover the data, then the $100 looking fee gets applied to the replacement of my drive. Sounds great. But almost TOO great.

Do you think its a safe bet to have these local guys replace my hard drive AND try to recover data? Is it better to have Apple replace the hard drive and the big name Drive Savers recover my files? What about having a third party hard drive?

THank you!!

2. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

Just curious, how much was Apple charging to replace the hard drive and does that include the cost of the drive?