iMac HDD Problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JavaWizKid, Jul 27, 2013.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

My iMac wont start and is showing just a http://chris.pirillo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/3331459927_56be5b67cb.jpg sign. I've ran the hardware test, that is ok. Recovery partition works (Lion). I couldn't clone the hdd to an external as it failed and I tried to repair disk using disk util and said failed. This is pointing to a HDD failure right? I just wonder why the recovery partition works.

If so, iMac 24" has a 3.5" sata 2 HDD? Since sata 2 is hard to come by these days, would a sata 3 HDD work, any branding?

Thanks a lot!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You probably have some bad sectors in just the right places preventing the boot up but allowing the recovery partition to work. You can also put in a SATA 3 HDD or SSD in the SATA 2 computer as they're backwards compatible.

If you can, try out Spinrite as described below.

Note: Steve Gibson is currently working on a new version of Spinrite that will work natively on the Mac as well as the PC. Watch for it!

I use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the Mac and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program. Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

Independent review of Spinrite (not me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SMART Utility, for OS X, was indicating a bad sector on my iMac HDD and recently I took it out and installed an SSD. I put the HDD in a Dell PC and ran Spinrite on it, correcting the bad sector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if the HDD has bad sectors, can you reinstall OSX or is the hard drive actually physically damaged? Do I need to buy a new HDD?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Its possible to do a reinstall, but its no guarantee that it will work right. They can be repaired or marked bad so as not to be written to again with Spinrite.

Typically, when a HDD gets bad sectors, its an indication that it may be starting to go bad, or has gotten too bad to keep.

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would recommend, if you plan on replacing it, to go with an SSD to greatly improve the performance of your Mac over a HDD.